Chain Guard - Different

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

flat-pack

Veteran
When my plastic chain guard [the type that bolt to the front cog assembly] eventually fell off, I was searching the bay and found this , arrived direct from states dead quick, easy to fit, and worketh well.

If you contact him direct from site he will give paypal details and will post to UK at same rate as USA, bargain.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
No more Chain Ring tattoo's?....

No thanks.. chain ring tattoo's are all part and parcel of cycle riding
biggrin.gif

OP
OP
flat-pack

flat-pack

Veteran
How good is it at keeping the chain clean?

It covers the big ring only, but I was thinking of trying to extend it to cover all three, judging by the crud collected on it it has stopped some, bit early to give you a full judgement yet, will monitor.

OP
OP
flat-pack

flat-pack

Veteran
Done a few miles now in the mud and crud on my commute via a disused railway/bridleway, pic shows what the guard has stopped, still wanting to extend it to cover all three cogs, just waiting to find the right material, thinking polyprop band will be good if the width is right.

In use the guard does not snag on my waterproofs, jeans or joggers and has stayed in position fine, comes with a jappaned bolt and nut that will have to be replaced with stainless at some point.

Photo0196.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Done a few miles now in the mud and crud on my commute via a disused railway/bridleway, pic shows what the guard has stopped, still wanting to extend it to cover all three cogs, just waiting to find the right material, thinking polyprop band will be good if the width is right.

In use the guard does not snag on my waterproofs, jeans or joggers and has stayed in position fine, comes with a jappaned bolt and nut that will have to be replaced with stainless at some point.

Photo0196.jpg

Not being funny, but you are far better off wiping the drive components down after a dirty ride than trying to 'get away with it'. Just my 2p.

From those pics, your chain and mechs are still covered in crap.

OP
OP
flat-pack

flat-pack

Veteran
Point taken, if the bridle path did not save me miles, a very steep descent/ascent and perilous unlit partially flooded [when raining]country lanes I would love to keep my bike cleaner.

This just seemed a way of keeping some mess off, I run full guards and a mud flap but stuff still flicks up all over the bike :angry:

Don't really have facilities for a daily wipe down but attend to it at weekends.

snailracer

Über Member
This just seemed a way of keeping some mess off, I run full guards and a mud flap but stuff still flicks up all over the bike :angry:
Is your front mud flap long enough? The ones that come with the front mudguard are never long enough.

tyred

Legendary Member
My shopping bike (traditional upright roadster bike) has proper full guards and a mudflap that reaches almost to the ground and yet I am constantly amazed by the muck which collects on top of the hockey stick chain guard when the roads are dirty. This must surely be a good thing from a chain life point of view.

OP
OP
flat-pack

flat-pack

Veteran
Is your front mud flap long enough? The ones that come with the front mudguard are never long enough.

I bought it as a seperate item, it extends about 12cm below the mudguard, could not find a longer one, if too long there is a chance of grounding I would have thought ?

If you know of a super long flap I would be interested for next year, hopefully we have had the worst weather this year !

snailracer

Über Member
To me, a mudflap is a consumable that wears out and must be replaced when worn out or torn off. Mudguard manufacturers don't see it this way, so the mudflaps that come with mudguards are very short to avoid any risk of grounding and the resulting warranty claim. This, unfortunately, results in their being too short to be of much use.

I DIY my own mudflaps from plastic milk bottles - the material is stiff enough to avoid being dragged into the tyre or get blown backwards by the wind, but flexible enough to avoid transmitting shock to the mud guard. Fiddly, but effective and cheap.

tyred

Legendary Member
A good quick fix mudflap which works really well ime is to cut the bottom and top from a 500ml Lucozade bottle and split in two. Then stick it on to the bottom of the mudguard with double sided tape (the water proof type that can be used to stick on car number plates). It will naturally curve round into bottle shape and you may need some trimming to stop it catching the wheel but the curve makes it more effective than just a simple rubber strip. Cost is minimal.

Top Bottom