Chain guards..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gratts

I cycle upto lectures most mornings in normal clothes - i.e. jeans, top etc.
There are no facilities for changing or anything, so I have to cycle in jeans..
Most times my jeans end up getting caught in the chain next to the right pedal..it does no harm to my bike or chain, but it has ripped a couple of my jeans at the bottom. Am wondering..would a chain guard solve this problem?
If so, are there certain sizes, recommendations etc?

zacklaws

Guru
I've no experience of chain guards but it happens to me too but mainly the teeth get caught on my trouser bottoms when the chain is on the inner ring and I'm standing to pedal. The easiest, simplest and cheapest solution is a bike clip.

OP
OP
G

gratts

Couldn't see guards or clips in my LBS. Those clips just look like expensive elastic bands, guess I could just use them :evil:
No chance of wearing shorts, I wanna be warm and toasty..:tongue:

Amanda P

Legendary Member
The slightly-less-unfashionable solution is to roll up your right trouser leg slightly, so that it's clear of the chainrings.

Expensive elastic bands, yes. Follow your local postman around and he will probably jettison a couple of elastic bands on the ground within a minute or two. (They perish quickly, though).

Mrs Uncle Phil has ankles too slim for standard-issue bicycle clips to fit, so she likes to use clothes pegs to secure her trouser legs.

OP
OP
G

gratts

I don't mind the oil, its the spikes ripping my jeans!
Maybe I'll just ignore everything I know about fashion and tuck my jeans into my socks :evil:

RedBike

I use the big elastic bands the postman keeps fastening all my letters together with (Or I tuck my trousers into my socks).

I used to commute on a fixie until I got shoe lace caught in the chain. - I will never ever ride a fixed wheel bike wearing flappy trousers or shoes with laces again!

trouser in the sock is the way to go. you don't have to took the whole thing in with sock pulled up to the knee ;-) just the medial side to stop it flapping about, hardly noticeable. i rarely remember to remove trouser leg from sock, so has become a bit of a fashion statement with me ;-)

cheers, velocidad.

jimboalee

OP - You say you cycle to lectures. Are you a student or a Professor?

Sounds like a Uni'. Try the Student's shop for a couple of Slap Bands.

Top Bottom