Chain jammed help.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuber

Hi all

My chain flew off the small ring and jammed between it and my frame damaging the carbon frame (not sure how bad )now im not a bike mechanic but on inspection it was obvious the derailer hadnt been set correctly.

The bikes only 5 weeks old and i think whats happened is the cable has maybe stretched a little bit allowing the derailer to move closer to the frame(if it had been set up correctly this would not be possible).

Im not a happy chappy and would like opinions on what I should do next as i dont want a frame thats been compromised ?

Thanks

PeterD

Take it back to the shop or retailer where you originally bought it .

OP
OP
C

Cuber

Thanks guys its defo going back just wondering where i stand legally.

Took a few pics to show the damage and will try to upload.

You cant really see but the derailer is nearly touching down tube and there was only going to be one outcome here sadly.

OP
OP
C

Cuber

Pics

Attachments

• cube frame 001.JPG
    cube frame 001.JPG
    243.9 KB · Views: 341
  • cube frame 002.JPG
    cube frame 002.JPG
    342.4 KB · Views: 268
  • cube frame 003.JPG
    cube frame 003.JPG
    258.6 KB · Views: 322
  • cube frame 004.JPG
    cube frame 004.JPG
    257.7 KB · Views: 437
OP
OP
C

Cuber

Well I guess your claim is that the limit-screw wasn't set-up right and that's the vendor's responsibility (fit for purpose and all that).

How well this would go down with the vendor I don't know - you'll just have to see.

Buy good luck anyway!

Yep limit screw not set right(see pic)one on left how it was,one on right after I sorted it.

Note how the derailer arm is parralel to downtube when set correctly.

Will phone Tredz when they open see what they say.

Thanks

Attachments

• Derailer before and after correction..jpg
    Derailer before and after correction..jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 127
OP
OP
C

Cuber

Sent of pics to tredz and they offered some paint so I could paint the frame.LMAO

Told the guy I wanted new frame and he said he would get back to me.

I wonder if he will up his offer to paint and a brush :biggrin: .

Yep limit screw not set right(see pic)one on left how it was,one on right after I sorted it.

Note how the derailer arm is parralel to downtube when set correctly.

Will phone Tredz when they open see what they say.

Thanks

Would have been better if you hadn't done that because now they can say it was fine when it left them but you fiddled with the limit screws which caused the problem. Did you pay for it by credit card? Some of them have insurance on purchases for up to 90 days and all should get involved if there is a dispute with the shop. Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 makes the card company jointly liable. Has to be a credit, not debit card though and that excludes cards like Amex.

OP
OP
C

Cuber

Would have been better if you hadn't done that because now they can say it was fine when it left them but you fiddled with the limit screws which caused the problem. Did you pay for it by credit card? Some of them have insurance on purchases for up to 90 days and all should get involved if there is a dispute with the shop. Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 makes the card company jointly liable. Has to be a credit, not debit card though and that excludes cards like Amex.

Thanks, Did pay for it on credit card and will need to check on the 90 day insurance ,will give Tredz a chance to come to some sort of agreement with me first.

At the end of the day am sure for a couple of quid something could be fitted to this bike to stop this happening(the dogs fang dosnt work as the BB shell is huge).

Only corrected the limit screw to show them on pic how it should look but your right the guy at tredz tryed to use that against me already.

amaferanga

Veteran
I'm having difficulty understanding how you could do all that damage just from dropping the chain once. There's damage in places that wouldn't normally get damaged from a dropped chain.

As for preventing the chain dropping off again (as well as setting up the limit screw properly) then the best solution IMO is the Token chain catcher (same as the K-Edge, but much cheaper). Only you'd need to get a braze-on front mech and mount it to a band on adapter for it to work with your frame. As far as I'm aware this is the only kind of solution that will work with odd-shaped carbon tubes.

OP
OP
C

Cuber

I would be tempted to say I hadn't moved the limit screw at all (before or after incident).

Thanks herzog but the BB shell comes up further than the small chainring so will need some sort of special device specific to this bike.

Top Bottom