Chain Length

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manalog

Über Member
Hello,
Just bought a 53/39 Crankset, do I need a longer Chain, my current setup is 50/39 with 10sp 12/27 cassette. How many liks do I need?
Thanks in advance,
Gerry

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The way to find out is to go for a ride and shift into the 53 at the front and the 27 at the back. If your wheel locks solid and you fall off, you need a longer chain. If it doesn't, you don't.

gavintc

Guru
The method I was taught was to put the chain over both big rings, but missing out the deraileur. Measure that length, then cut it and fit as normal. I am new to the bike maint game, but having fitted 2 chains using this method - it seems to work fine.

GrasB

Veteran
The way I was taught was small to small & the chain as long as possible without making contact with the rear derailleur when passing between the chainring & lower jockey wheel

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Small/small is the Shimano recommended method, and is OK so long as you are using "normal" gear combinations. If you are using gears outside the recommended capacities you could end up with a chain that's too short for big/big. If so, and you select big/big by accident (eg in the dark) something could break.

Sizing the chain on big/big makes sure that nothing will break, but if you are using over capacity gears you could get noisiness and/or derailment if you select small/small.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Landslide said:
^^^Best not to select big/big combinations in the first place.
Agreed - you should never *use* that combination, but it's ok to use it briefly to check out for inadequate chain length. (And it is far & away the quickest and easiest way.)

OP
OP
manalog

manalog

Über Member
Thanks guys for the replies, will try both methods. My Cranksest hasn't arrive yet :-(

02GF74

Über Member
manalog said:
Thanks guys for the replies, will try both methods. My Cranksest hasn't arrive yet :-(

maybe it'll get losti nt he post, then problem solved. :biggrin: sort of! :rolleyes:

jimboalee

Here's my method.

Firstly, calc the gear lengths and sus the gearing progression from bottom to top.

See the smallest sprocket that will be used with the largest ring. On my Dawes it's 53 to the 16 sprocket.

When the chain is on this combination, the rear wheel spindle and both jockey wheels should be in alignment ( or half a link shorter ).

jimboalee

The Shimano method is included on the Rear Mechanism instruction sheet.

It says the chain should be on the largest ring and smallest sprocket. The wheel axle and both jockey wheels are in alignment on a line perpendicular to the ground.

I find this too loose and take a coupe of links out to have the alignment on a forward incline with the chain on the smallest sprocket used with the big ring.

By doing this, and having the front mech adjusted correctly, I don't have to bother buying little gizmos to stop the chain falling off the small ring.

OP
OP
manalog

manalog

Über Member
Got my Crankset today... he he he. I'm now a little confused with all different methods now. I'll try the simplest and just install the Crankset and see what happens. By the way, anyone here owns a Focus Cayo 08 with 53/39 and 12/27 combination? Perhaps you could post your Chain Lenght on here?

Top Bottom