Chain maintenance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

k8srd

I am a newbie on the commuting front and have yet to invest in a decent "how to" book so sorry for all the questions!

How often should you oil your chain and is it just bog standard oil you use??

Cheers

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
I use Finish Line Pro Road ceramic wet lube- I've found this to be really good for longer lasting chain but a decent chain lube should serve you well.

Frequency..depends on the conditions you ride in and personal preferences really.
I think a weekly/every two weeks cleandown with baby wipes and then lubing the chain will suffice unless you've ridden in lots of rain and there's a lot of grit on your bike. Then a more comprehensive clean of the chain with solvent occasionally and a re-lube will sort you out. I'm more of a preventative maintenance person but there are others who will lube less frequently.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
As you will discover if you hang around here for any length of time, this is one of the 'hot topics' (which is to say lukewarm eternals) that never stays off the boards for long. Opinions vary widely. Mine, FWIW, is that a proper chain lube is worth investing in. I use Prolink Progold - a £5 bottle lasts me a year. I use it probably once a month or so, more often if it's been raining a lot. I never use a solvent, remove the chain or any of that. Just dribble it on, quick wipe, then away you go.

SimonC

swee said:
+1, lifes too short to remove and soak yer chain. Quick squirt of decent chain lube, I dont bother wiping any excess off, job done.

What you maybe dont realise k8srd is that you have opened a huge can o worms posting that question, and this lot will have you boiling chains in oil before you know it.:biggrin:

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Right, place your bets. How many pages in before we have the full set. Engine oil, furniture polish, WD40, E45, I clean every day, I never clean ? :biggrin:

My bet is page 4

FWIW I use finish line dry. Wipe chain with baby wipes, apply oil, wipe and apply again. As and when I can remember.

gf1959

A can of worms indeed but yeh,decent chain lube will do every so often. My mobile bike mechanic changes his chain every year,only £15 or so. That's for daily use in all weathers mind.

longers

Legendary Member
Marmite?

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
lol - m for what..? mother?

Don't bother with removing the chain - just too much hassle - get one of those nifty chain cleaner things and clean the chain once in a blue moon to keep it in good nick...I only do it really as I like the orange scented solvent!

Top Bottom