Chain maintenance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
To satisfy myself as much as anything, but as there's a never ending discussion about chain life/lubrication, i'm going to be a bit more scientific this time.
Working in a workshop, i've got all the time in the world to clean and lube chains, but still don't get what i see as reasonable life out of a chain.
Trouble is i tend to mix methods a bit, regular, but mixed. Soaking in oil and cleaning, using some high quality PTFE lubricants, plain oiling on the bike, Finish Line etc etc.

So, just fitted a new KMC X10 chain (addmittedly not a high quality chain to start with)...i'm going to clean and bathe in oil once a week, wipe and refit.

I've recorded the starting mileage and will monitor the results.

Bit of a long term thing....or i need three bikes with three different methods :birthday:

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Don't forget to ensure that next year's weather is exactly the same as this, else you'll sway the results :ohmy:

02GF74

Über Member
a sample of 3 bikes is a bit low.

you need several seats of identical twins, each with the same bike and components who do the same journeys and will alternate who leads.

one twin will treat the chain differently to the other and after, say, you have results for 20 chains, then you can begin to theorize.

Top Bottom