chain oil

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gallego1968

I ride motorbikes and with them you have to make sure that the chain is clean and lubed properly or it won't last long. Does this go for cycle chains as well, if you what chain lube would you recommend.

Peter91

GT85 every 80 miles.

zacklaws

Guru
Chain-L

Best stuff I have ever used, one lubing with it can easily last up to a 1000 miles and I have found its doubled the life span of my chains from approx 1200 to 2400, but despite the advertising blurb, it does not seem too good in the wet as after a good ride in very wet conditions my chain can be rusting the next day and by the sound of the chain, its also washed out from the rollers. After a lubing the transmission becomes silent so any changes, you suddenly become aware of the fact that the lube has gone.

I apply a small drop on the edge of the rollers with a paint brush, and then heat the chain up with a heat gun to make the oil flow better into the rollers. The correct way is to warm the oil before application.

Peter91

WD40 every other day
I've heard it's really quite bad for your chain from a few places..
WD-40 was developed by the military in the 50s as a rust preventative solvent and de-greaser to protect missile parts. It quickly became a household item when people discovered it had thousands of other uses as a cleaner, rust-prevention agent, squeak-stopper and more. It also works wonders as a light lubricant on small items like hinges, locks, and toys.

Bicycle chains, on the other hand, are far too heavy and fast-moving for the lubricating power of WD-40 to have any effect at all. As a matter of fact, WD-40 will actually strip away any existing lubricant and leave your drivetrain dry – metal on metal. Basically, spraying this stuff on your chain is worse than using no lubricant at all!

WD40 every other day

you’ve been listening to too many story’s, take it from me I get well over 6500 miles out of a chain.
I wash it in white spirits, let it dry and then spray it in WD40 every other day job done

Lets face it, you just like the smell of it
wink.gif

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Some light mickey taking going on.

Finish Line etc dry or wet lubes depending upon conditions. Use a dropper bottle, one drop on each roller. Spin chainset then wipe off excess oil from the chain with a rag. Oil only needs to be on the rollers, not on the links - they get a slight covering anyway. Aerosols are a waste of money on a chain - you end up with too much on it and not where it's needed - just use a dropper bottle.

Glover Fan

I use some thing called Green Oil or something like that recommended from my LBS, seems to be working well and apparently doesn't damage the environment at all and comes from natural sources.

brockers

I ride motorbikes ......

Ooh goody. I didn't want to start a seperate thread! Does anyone know how to free up a stiff link on a 525 motorbike chain? I cant afford to shell out £150 for a new chain and sprox ! (The local motorbike shops won't put a new master-link in either :sad:)

Meanwhile back to bicycles. Gear oil, engine oil (or maybe a 50/50 mix) if you're a cheapskate and like mucky chains, or stuff from Finish-Line, Pedros, Purple Extreme etc. All have their fanboys and detractors, and this is one of those topics that comes up regularly

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Chain saw oil every 3 or 4 months. Sticks like the proverbial and after a year's use it seems to give good chain life too.

+1

I run my chain through a chain bath full of chainsaw oil and then through a clean rag until there is no surplus (a semi mickle)

Paul_L

Über Member
Some light mickey taking going on.

Finish Line etc dry or wet lubes depending upon conditions. Use a dropper bottle, one drop on each roller. Spin chainset then wipe off excess oil from the chain with a rag. Oil only needs to be on the rollers, not on the links - they get a slight covering anyway. Aerosols are a waste of money on a chain - you end up with too much on it and not where it's needed - just use a dropper bottle.

+1

dry lube on no. 2 bike
ceramic lube on no. 1 bike.

using exactly this method from Finish Line dropper bottles.

Occasionally spray no. 2 with a degreaser first if it's got a lot of crap between the links.

Holdsworth

Über Member
I haven't yet got into using all of those different kinds of wet or dry lubes so for now I still use plain and simple light chain oil. I haven't had any problems so far, but then again I haven't done 3,000+ miles on my bike yet! Haven't been counting but I guess I am over 1,000 by now surely.

Top Bottom