Chain Problem.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hackbike 6

For the seventh time recently my chain has broken...

This time near to home and without me falling off again...

The bike has been "serviced" about 200 miles ago by a well known bike shop and the "problem" went for alas 200 miles.

Managed to get to work this morning with no problems but then it suddenly kicked off again although I know what my big mistake was splitting the chain and rejoining it as it seems like nowadays you cannot split chains as it makes them weaker with a 90% chance of breaking again.

After the last break I fitted a 9 speed chain on a 10 speed cog and although this worked I found it very unstable so I changed it,it had a powerlink thingy.

After my local shop fixed it,the chain was fine but then suddenly when cycling through Tower Gateway in the rush-hour the chain was found to be toot tight on the biggest cogs so they jammed.Managed to free them up and got home ok.So that's why I changed the chain for the only complete albeit wrong size chain I had.

I also had a sort of inquiry as to why this has happened and I now realise that the cog on the back (which is 10 speed) the lowest gear cogs ratio is wrong which means I can't take too many links(it's not the original wheel or cog) off and I probably cant use the lowest front ring as the chain would be to slack.

Im fed up with this 10 speed cog crap anyway,can I get something like a 7 speed cog on the back?
I remember in the old days I used to have only 10 gears in all and used to manage so why I need twenty gears really beats me.

Bike is Dawes Audax 2006.

Any help and advice would be appreciated.Cheers

I broke a Campag chain a few weeks back after taking more link out (the chain wasn't short enough) and not putting the pin back correctly.

I put a Connex 10sp. I had as a spare on. This has got a "quick link" to join the chain together and is much easier to use, though you still need a chain tool to get the chain to the required length, you don't need a chain tool to "break" the chain again.

I've now bought some KMC X10SL's that were on offer in Merlin cycles, again they've got a "quick link".

Make sure you always use a 10sp. chain with a 10sp gear. 9 will work but it'll soon destroy your sprockets, rear mech and could wear your chainset too but this would be very extreme.

Count the number of links in the chain that's broken and compare the number to previous chains. If it's different I'm sure that someone on here will know what the number it should be.

Hope this helps? :?:

OP
OP
H

hackbike 6

Make sure you always use a 10sp. chain with a 10sp gear. 9 will work but it'll soon destroy your sprockets, rear mech and could wear your chainset too but this would be very extreme.

I had no spare chain at the time.I think possibly what the problem here,after some thought is the reason you can faff about splitting and rejoining the chain is because it is so narrow and it does indeed weaken it.

Im looking to change to a seven speed cog and chain if possible.

Also thanks Lee.

02GF74

Über Member
hmmmm, I only have 8 and 9 speed shimano chains and have never had a chain fail that I fitted. I've had one loose the pin and another the link started to come off but these were not fitted by me.

I use the shimano pin or if a new chain, they usually have the pin fitted half way through.

The trick I have discovered is to get the pin into the opposite link as square as possible - to help do this I take a round needle file and file a chamfer on the inner face - this help the pin locate it self in the hole.

Using a quality tool - the shimano one - pushes the oin in squarely.

like i said, not had one fail yet.

Chris James

Über Member
I realise this may not be much help after your comment about the wheel and cassette not being original.

However, I also have a Dawes Audax 2006. I am still on the original chain and have had no problems with it. I have never broken the chain, just cleaned it (very occasionally) in situ. So far I have been quite impressed with the longevity and rubustness (is that a word?) of the 105 chain provided, although I know some people reckon Shimano chains aren't great.

So my advice would be to use a 10 speed chain in future and avoid breaking the chain if possible, or failing that use a KMC (or similar) powerlink.

Chris James

Über Member
Quick question, what size cassette are you using? If you are going above 27 teeth at the back then I don't think the rear derailleur will cope. Maybe that is why you are breaking chains?

Mine still has the 12-25 original cassette.

Also, do you have enough links in your chain?

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
If you are breaking chains as regularly as that, something is seriously wrong. I've broken one in 40 years, and that was due to my own careless joining. You need to find a decent mechanic and get him to have a look at the bike to find what the problem is.

OP
OP
H

hackbike 6

Chris James said:
Quick question, what size cassette are you using? If you are going above 27 teeth at the back then I don't think the rear derailleur will cope. Maybe that is why you are breaking chains?

Mine still has the 12-25 original cassette.

Also, do you have enough links in your chain?

Yeah I roughly know what the problem is although my reason for breaking chains is because I split them then put them together again which must not be done

I have realised a 10 speed chain is much thinner than say a 5 speed chain (which I used to split for fun in the old days) and also the rear cog is not the original and is the wrong size.Im looking to change to something like a 7 speed chain and cog in the future but will put this chain back together with the proper link thingy enclosed.

If you are breaking chains as regularly as that, something is seriously wrong. I've broken one in 40 years, and that was due to my own careless joining. You need to find a decent mechanic and get him to have a look at the bike to find what the problem is.

I now know what the two problems are and the shoddy? repair service provided by the bike shop.

I know how to repair it and can ride on that chain so long as I don't split and rejoin the link without the pin thingy included originally.

Going ot go round said bike shop to get a lower ratio and say 7 speed cassette and chain.

Chris James

Über Member
To go seven speed you are going to have to change your shifters and rear mech.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=3946

To reiterate the point, whilst 10 speed is a lot flimsier looking than 5 speed chians, I have ridden both and never broken either so a correctly set up 10 speed system should be fine.

OP
OP
H

hackbike 6

Chris James said:
To go seven speed you are going to have to change your shifters and rear mech.

http://www.ctc.org.uk/desktopdefault.aspx?tabid=3946

To reiterate the point, whilst 10 speed is a lot flimsier looking than 5 speed chians, I have ridden both and never broken either so a correctly set up 10 speed system should be fine.

The original problem started when the rear cog came loose for some reason and buggered the original chain up,that's where it all started.

Im not sure who put that rear cog on whether it was me or the bike shop.It wasn't tightened up properly.The chain broke on the way to work,it also broke hafway up the Bow Flyover.

If I have to change the changers over I can't really do that at the moment perhaps a lower ratio cog on the back then to facilitate the chain.Will do it after next months holiday and anyway im looking to get a third bike,a fixie.

After the last break I fitted a 9 speed chain on a 10 speed cog and although this worked I found it very unstable so I changed it,it had a powerlink thingy.

I did that as I didn't have any other spare chains although it has been replaced for proper sized chain.

Thanks for the help.

Top Bottom