Chain Rubbing on Derailleur Guard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I've just got a new Carrera Virtuoso road bike. However, when the chain is on the small cogs at the back the chain rubs on the front derailleur, creating a clicking sound. Any suggestions for adjustment? I got the bike on Ebay, so I can't take it to Halford's for free adjustment.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Rubbing on inside or outside of the front derailleur cage ?

007fair

There are 2 screws on the mechanism facing you 1 is the low gear limit adjustment and the other the high gear limit adjustment. On my bike the lower one was the low gear. Put the dear in the lowest gear (large cog at the back and small cog at the front) and then turn the screw so the FD arm is just clear of the chain
Then put in high gear (smallest rear and largest front and do the same thing)

Then put it back in the lowest gear and make sure the shifter is that lowest position.. then Pull the cable so there is no slack.

If this does not work then you may have to adjust the height and angle of the deraileur and the repeat the steps above

I just I just took off my front deraileur for the first time as the pedal arm was touching it when in the highest gear
Gave it a good clean ... then took me ages to get it back on but now works a treat. I also feel great having done it!

These instructions helped FD Instructions

PpPete

Legendary Member
Don't mess with limit screws unless you are sure that is the problem.
IME it's far more likely to be a cable tension prob, especially if the chain is rubbing on the "outside" of the cage.

If it's rubbing on the inside the most frequent cause is that the user is cross-chaining - not that I'm suggesting the OP is doing that ...., or yes it could be the limit screw.

But limit screws don't suddenly just go out of adjustment.... whereas cables stretch very slightly over time.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Don't mess with limit screws unless you are sure that is the problem.
IME it's far more likely to be a cable tension prob, especially if the chain is rubbing on the "outside" of the cage.

If it's rubbing on the inside the most frequent cause is that the user is cross-chaining - not that I'm suggesting the OP is doing that ...., or yes it could be the limit screw.

But limit screws don't suddenly just go out of adjustment.... whereas cables stretch very slightly over time.

Agreed. Cables stretch or are not tensioned to begin with. Limit screws *rarely change position.

*working on the premiss that nothing is impossible

OP
OP
Hip Priest

Hip Priest

Veteran
Rubbing on inside or outside of the front derailleur cage ?

The outside in high gears, the inside in low gears, initially. Though I fiddled with the screws and now the low gears are ok. Can't seem tosort the high gears.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Gears usually have them as well. What bike do you have?

Carrera Virtuoso, drops with shifters in the brakes. There is only 2 barrel adjuster on each side, so I assumed they were for the braking system. Of course, there is a HUGE probability that they are for the gears!

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The outside in high gears, the inside in low gears, initially. Though I fiddled with the screws and now the low gears are ok. Can't seem tosort the high gears.

Sounds like big ring/small sprocket, small ring/big sprocket? - avoid using those extremes if that is the case.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Follow the cables.... you should soon be able to see which adjusters are for the brakes and which the gears.

Some older/cheaper front derailleur systems have no barrel adjusters - in which case it's a question of slacking off the cable retaining bolt at the front mech, pulling a bit of cable through, and re-tightening the bolt.

Top Bottom