Chain set advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Just had a new chain and cassette put on my old mountain bike off ebay and that works a treat.
But I am having problems with the chain moving up onto the big cog on the front it is very intermittent. If I keep pressure on the gear lever to help it move across it can also hop off. So I guess I just need to get on youtube for a bit of adjustment. So far I gather it will need a tweak of the h screw to stop the chain moving past the big cog and maybe a adjust of the cable using the barrel adjusters too make the move more positive ? But the other issue is the middle cog when I am trying too change gear some times it seems too hook the chain and bring it round on its self. Would that just be a ware issue ?

OP
OP
captainhastings
well just spent an hour in the shed with the laptop and youtube and no joy. It seems to behave ok on the stand but as soon as it is ridden the chain refuses too move onto the big cog or randomly or just climbs straight over it.
Oh well back to the bike shop I reckon

YahudaMoon

Über Member
Sounds like a gear cable issue. Maybe you need a new cables. Try regreasing the inner / outer cables and turning the outer cable round, ie the logos on the cable should be facing out, have the logos on the cable facing in for a bodge job

Top Bottom