Chain skip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
Put a new chain on, its now skipping in 3rd and 4th from top, but it only skips when on the small chain ring on the front, when in the big ring on the front no problems. Surely if the cogs are nackerd it would skip regardless of if im in the big or small ring up front, ive played around with rear mech adjustment but didnt make much difference. Any thoughts?

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Put a new chain on, its now skipping in 3rd and 4th from top, but it only skips when on the small chain ring on the front, when in the big ring on the front no problems. Surely if the cogs are nackerd it would skip regardless of if im in the big or small ring up front, ive played around with rear mech adjustment but didnt make much difference. Any thoughts?

Was it skipping before the new chain was put on? If not then I would suspect worn cogs somewhere. In the larger front cog the tension will be different and could explain why it doesn't skip, more likely it could be that the small front cog is worn. Look for shark toothing (pointed teeth) anywhere on the cogs.

Not necessarily, the chain line will be different in each ring and the chain will have slightly different tensions in either ring too.
Too late now but if all was working fine before the new chain, it would have been better not to play around with rear mech adjustment and have fitted both a new cassette and chain. You'll probably be able to sort it out by doing that now but you'll need to readjust the rear mech. Good Luck :-)

Friz

The more you ride, the less your ass will hurt.
I'm gonna bet it's skipping in the gears you use most often. I recently had the same issue after replacing the chain. The rear cassette needs replacing.

OP
OP
PJ79LIZARD

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member
Adjusting the gears isnt a problem, i built my road bike from scratch. i use the big ring on the front mainly and probably use the third and fourth most with it, i knew they would be worn the most. But id never thought about chain alignment and tension, that would explain why the jumping in only one up front, i dont know why i didnt think of that. Well ive got another cassette on order and restocked my chains, when it comes ill swap them new chain and cassette on, ill put the old chain and cassette on and run it into the ground through the winter, as the bikes my daily commuter. Then put the new cassette and chain on when there shot. Cheers for your thoughts.

Top Bottom