Chain tensioner?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
Depends..

a little bit of information about the dropouts, horizontal/vertical?
then you would get a better answer :smile:

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
I think a pic of you setup would be helpful, if you can take one.

Is your transmission noisy? Does your chain stay on? Does your chain flap around? Is there play in the forward rotation of the crank before the chain pulls on the cog (i.e. slack between the front and rear cogs)?

biggs682

Touch it up and ride it
this is a question i had pondered and the answer is a no on horizontal as per my thread this week , just finished biulding my first single speed bike with newer style drop outs all previous were older steel horizontal so you can move forwards and backwards along the slot to get correct chain tension .

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
this is a question i had pondered and the answer is a no on horizontal as per my thread this week , just finished biulding my first single speed bike with newer style drop outs all previous were older steel horizontal so you can move forwards and backwards along the slot to get correct chain tension .

To achieve a taught chain this will do the job, but to maintain it is a different issue. The torque going through the chain can easily pull the axle forward particularly on the right side, turning the whole wheel to the left, misaligning cogs, and risking the chain being thrown.

OP
OP
A

AlexStevens

Are you going to be contributing anything beyond a link to your blog here?

What do you mean?

Top Bottom