chain wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

veb

As my chain pases through front derailer i notice it moving from side to side often rubbing on either side.The chain tension is fine, could chain wheel be buckled? Theres been some noise from that area, its campag mirage and only seen 700 miles!

PpPete

Legendary Member
Well the crank could be loose on the BB spindle, but I think you'd notice that, as it gives a very strange sensation through the pedal.... so most likely chainwheel bent.

gwhite

Über Member
That does sound like the chainwheel although with only 700 miles it really shouldn't be. It's possible to us an adjustable spanner to bend these back to true and there is a special tool for this purpose as well. Looking down on the FD watch as the Chainwheel revolves through the FD and mark with a marker pen where it touches the FD cage. Now gently bend the chainwheel at this point back to true, If you feel unsure about doing this then take it to a bike shop as it should only take a few minutes to do.

gbb

Legendary Member
Is it the same with no load (just spinning the pedals by hand) or just when you're riding under load.
Some bikes have a flex in the BB/frame that shows when you get out of the saddle and honk. One of my older bikes used to slightly rub the chainwheel against the front derailleur when i was out of the saddle. This i'd take to be natural flex.

OP
OP
V

veb

I'm not sure i'd try straightening it mself, i'll take it to the dealer tomorrow. It is noticeable both with or without load however moreso with.It doesn't effect the ride but the noise from chain against deraileur is annoying and i'm sure will lead to more problems.There is another noise coming from crank area also, am i unreasonable to expect such a new bike to still be as silent as the day it left the dealers?

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Remove the chain. take a matchstick and some blue tac. stick the match onto the front mech so that it just misses the chainwheel teeth. spin the cranks.

As the cranks are spinning freely, and not under load, you'll see if the chainrings are bent. try it with both rings.

If its not bent chainrings, it'll be flex. I would recommend you upgrade to a SHIMANO set of cranks with an external BB, no chance of flex with them

Top Bottom