1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Chaincase on a Raleigh Roadster

Discussion in 'Bicycle Mechanics and Repairs' started by Number14, 3 Feb 2008.

1. Number14

Number14 Senior Member

I'm in the process of restoring a 1958 Raleigh Roadster but I can't get the chaincase off.

The circle part behind the right hand crank just won't budge. Does anyone have any experience of disassembling these things. I've tried to turn it both clockwise and anti-clockwise but it's not shifting.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Clockwise. It'll go given enough welly. Possibly.

3. bobg

bobg Über Member

Can you explain again please? I've done a few but I can quite visualise your prob? Maybe with a pic? Ta

4. hubgearfreak

hubgearfreak Über Member

it'll pop out, like the lid on a paint can.

it takes some balls, but if you go both steady and firm you'll be OK

robsa likes this.
  5. The chaincase is retained by the RH BB cup I fink.

6. Number14

Number14 Senior Member

The front end of the chaincase is attached to the bike at the RH BB. I have successfully removed the cotter pins (less than 30 seconds each with a "special tool") and cranks and can remove the small slide as well. It's the big main disc that prevents me from removing the chainset that I'm having problems with.

I drenched it in WD40 last night and scraped a load of crud from under the outer lip - tonight it's time to try and prise it off. :tongue:

7. mr_hippo

mr_hippo Living Legend & Old Fart

8. bobg

bobg Über Member

Just twigged which bit you mean! Yup the large round bit ( about the same diameter as the chainring just pops out when you slick a screwdriver under the lip - as someone said , like a paint tin. However, if I remember correctly, theres a little sliding bit secured in a lip that slips out ( with a bit of tapping usually, that provides a bit of extra space to manouvre the other bit round the rh crank - hope this makes sense ... not sure it does but I know what I mean:sad:

9. Number14

Number14 Senior Member

It's off!! :smile::biggrin:

Now to get the degreaser out .....

10. mr_hippo

mr_hippo Living Legend & Old Fart

Congratulations!!!