Chainring bolts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I have an Ultegra crankset on my road bike and I've managed to break one of the 5 chainring bolts (don't ask!). Is it safe to ride on just 4 bolts?

And where can I get a new one from?

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have an Ultegra crankset on my road bike and I've managed to break one of the 5 chainring bolts (don't ask!). Is it safe to ride on just 4 bolts?

And where can I get a new one from?
It's obviously going to put more strain on the remaining bolts so I would prefer not to stand up and sprint with it like that! I wouldn't have thought that it would be a problem to ride home on it though.

Surely you go to any bike shop and they'd have a boxful of those bolts?

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'll give the LBS a go then. One website wants £35 for a set of 5

Cheers for the advice. Was meant to be doing FNRttC this week, will see if I can get one before then

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
Cheers again!!

I think it was because I specified Ultegra in my initial search that it came up with thesehere

Anyways I've decided to go for the pimped version and get some red ones. Will pop into LBS tomorrow though to see if I can get one just to tide me over till they arrive.

frank9755

Cyclist
I once had one come loose and fall out without me being aware of it. I stood up to give the bike a bit of welly up a hill and my chainring folded over like a piece of cardboard! Take it easy until you get the new bolt fitted...

OP
OP
martint235

martint235

Dog on a bike
I once had one come loose and fall out without me being aware of it. I stood up to give the bike a bit of welly up a hill and my chainring folded over like a piece of cardboard! Take it easy until you get the new bolt fitted...

That's not good to hear!! Thanks for telling me though. Looks like I may be out of the Bognor ride if I don't source one quick!!!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Just be careful with alloy ones if you are a bit ham fisted. They can strip.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Just be careful with alloy ones if you are a bit ham fisted. They can strip.

As I found out Sunday as I (for some gawd knows reason) overtightened one after cleaning and it sheared off.
So off with all the Blue pimp bolts and back with the normal ones for the time being.

Martin I have plenty of spares if you want one.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
As I found out Sunday as I (for some gawd knows reason) overtightened one after cleaning and it sheared off.
So off with all the Blue pimp bolts and back with the normal ones for the time being.

Martin I have plenty of spares if you want one.

That's the only reason I've never moved from Standard ones...I make sure they are dead tight.

Top Bottom