Chains

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Types of chain and what gearings they'll fit.
Shimano gearing
Normally will a chain 'do' a selection of cassettes? e.g would a chain for a 8spd fit a 9spd?

Reason I'm asking is I've got a selection of bikes, 8 & 9 spd. I've also just got 3 'scrap' bikes. Figured I'd have a go at doing them up a bit and make my mistakes on them. Now these are 7 & 5 spd and could do with new chains.

Anyone got 'the knowledge'?

bobg

Über Member
I have the same chains on 6,7 and 8 speed blocks. I believe that the spacing between the 9 speed sprockets is a fraction less so a thinner chain is necessary especially when not using friction changers

Plax

Guru
Since we are on the subject of chains. I have a Shimano HG chain. Cassette (8 Spd) is not worn, but I'd like to replace the chain as it's done shy over 1,000 miles and is well grimed up.
Can I swap it for a SRAM chain with a powerlink? I think the answer is yes, I just want to make sure first!

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Just to expand, they're all 3 old Raleighs.

A ladys tourer a 'Weekender'
2 hybrids - Firepower Trident
- Activator

They don't seem anything 'special', I can remember seeing loads of Activators years ago. Can't see anything online about any of them.

longers

Legendary Member
Plax - that's what I'm running on my commuter.

8spd SRAM for 8spd Shimano no problem.

Plax

Guru
longers said:
Plax - that's what I'm running on my commuter.

8spd SRAM for 8spd Shimano no problem.

Cheers longers!

byegad

Legendary Member
Plax said:
Since we are on the subject of chains. I have a Shimano HG chain. Cassette (8 Spd) is not worn, but I'd like to replace the chain as it's done shy over 1,000 miles and is well grimed up.
Can I swap it for a SRAM chain with a powerlink? I think the answer is yes, I just want to make sure first!

Yes just buy the 8 speed SRAM chain.

Top Bottom