Changes in acceptable language

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Language changes, it always has. This post is about the FA Chairman Greg Clarke.
(By way of some context I was appalled that the Ulster Unuonist Peer referred to Kamala Harris as “the Indian”. That just seemed immediately wrong and old fashioned.)
When I heard the FA chairman had resigned for using an offensive racist term in Parliament I wondered what terrible word he had used. The N word, the P word? No, the C word.
Not that long ago “coloured“ was considered to be an acceptable term. I know it’s no longer the best way to refer to BAME people. (One say that may no longer be acceptable)
Is this really a resignation issue for Greg Clarke? He’s 63 years old, dont we give people a bit of slack these days?

Maybe I’m wrong. Feel free to educate me.

Last edited:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
He’s 63 years old

I don't see that gives him any excuse. Is there some age at which we stop learning what's acceptable and what's not?
Our attitudes need not be frozen in the past unless we choose them to be.

OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
I don't see that gives him any excuse. Is there some age at which we stop learning what's acceptable and what's not?
Our attitudes need not be frozen in the past unless we choose them to be.
It’s a tricky one, you wouldn’t criticise a 63 year old for not wearing the latest fashions or listening to the top 10 singles.
He does have a responsibility for keeping up to speed with social norms but it isn’t easy to be right all the time.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Sorry, there's nothing tricky about it.

He's in the House of Lords, a part of the UK's political institution, and is well aware of world politics and who is where, especially in an election for president of the country we claim to have a special relationship with.

And he has previous for using ethnicity as a pejorative when he called the Irish PM Leo Varadkar a "typical Indian".

In reference to Kamala Harris, he is quoted as saying,
"I did not know her name and identified her with the term Indian. Most people understood. Racist NO."

I don't believe him for a second, her name and face have been every bit as prominent as Biden's. Anyone who genuinely didn't know her name would have found out in two clicks of a mouse.

Of course, he then put forward the House of Lords version of 'some of my best friends are...' when he said, "I'm very fond of India myself, I'm a member of the British India all-party group, I have two Indians (tenants) in my flats here in London and there's nothing racist in it whatsoever.

He added, "She's proud of her Indian roots just as Biden's proud to say he's Irish."

Yet he referred to Mr Biden by name, not 'the Irishman'.

Nope, the guy's a flat-out racist.

alicat

Legendary Member
I listened to a R4 report with extracts of what Greg Clarke said and was struggling to hear any one thing that was a resigning issue especially when he was being criticised and may have got flustered as a result. It felt like 'There but for the grace of God go I'. Maybe quite a few people think he has gone stale in the job and he recognised that his face didn't fit any more and it was time to go.

OP
Beebo

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Sorry, there's nothing tricky about it.

He's in the House of Lords, a part of the UK's political institution, and is well aware of world politics and who is where, especially in an election for president of the country we claim to have a special relationship with.

And he has previous for using ethnicity as a pejorative when he called the Irish PM Leo Varadkar a "typical Indian".

In reference to Kamala Harris, he is quoted as saying,
"I did not know her name and identified her with the term Indian. Most people understood. Racist NO."

I don't believe him for a second, her name and face have been every bit as prominent as Biden's. Anyone who genuinely didn't know her name would have found out in two clicks of a mouse.

Of course, he then put forward the House of Lords version of 'some of my best friends are...' when he said, "I'm very fond of India myself, I'm a member of the British India all-party group, I have two Indians (tenants) in my flats here in London and there's nothing racist in it whatsoever.

He added, "She's proud of her Indian roots just as Biden's proud to say he's Irish."

Yet he referred to Mr Biden by name, not 'the Irishman'.

Nope, the guy's a flat-out racist.
I think you’ve miss understood my post. I know the Ulster Unionist is wrong. I’m referring to the FA Chairman.

Dave Davenport

Legendary Member
I did wonder if there was more to his resignation than his inadvertently using a (pretty crass) term that would have been common for much of his lifetime, for which he apologised as soon as it was pointed out to him. Seems like more a case for some diversity training than resignation.

johnblack

Über Member
Language changes, it always has.
I was appalled that the Ulster Unuonist Peer referred to Kamala Harris as “the Indian”. That just seemed immediately wrong and old fashioned.
When I heard the FA chairman had resigned for using an offensive racist term in Parliament I wondered what terrible word he had used. The N word, the P word? No, the C word.
Not that long ago “coloured“ was considered to be an acceptable term. I know it’s no longer the best way to refer to BAME people. (One say that may no longer be acceptable)
Is this really a resignation issue for Greg Clarke? He’s 63 years old, dont we give people a bit of slack these days?

Maybe I’m wrong. Feel free to educate me.
There seems to be no room for any kind of tolerance at the minute and no chance for redemption. One strike and you are done.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
"he separately went on to make a run of digressive answers to MPs, in which he used the term “coloured” to describe black, Asian and minority ethnic people and suggested that “different career interests” led south Asian people to choose careers in IT over sport. He also described a gay player coming out as a ‘life choice’ and recounted an anecdote about girl footballers being afraid to be hit by a ball."
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...eg-clarke-resigns-after-unacceptable-comments

I knew football was a bastion of out-of-date values, but that lot shocked even me. The notional leader of one of the largest entertainment businesses in the country really ought to be able to speak in a way that doesn't repel many of his most important revenue streams.

matticus

Über Member
"he separately went on to make a run of digressive answers to MPs, in which he used the term “coloured” to describe black, Asian and minority ethnic people and suggested that “different career interests” led south Asian people to choose careers in IT over sport. He also described a gay player coming out as a ‘life choice’ and recounted an anecdote about girl footballers being afraid to be hit by a ball."
https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...eg-clarke-resigns-after-unacceptable-comments

I knew football was a bastion of out-of-date values, but that lot shocked even me. The notional leader of one of the largest entertainment businesses in the country really ought to be able to speak in a way that doesn't repel many of his most important revenue streams.
What does this mean:
"he separately went on to make a run of digressive answers to MPs, "

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
Offence, like beauty, is generally in the eye of the beholder. How else could 'coloured' be offensive, but 'of colour' not? Can't help wondering whether the people 'offended' are ever half as offended as those offended on their behalf.
For long enough that`s how I would refer to someone of very dark skin as did not think it was offensive rather than saying that black man or women which I thought was. Oh well, consider me enlightened now.

Top Bottom