changing cassette/shifter??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
changing cassette/**derailleur??

Hello
I'd like to add a couple of 'easier' gears to my Allez, just to help me with hills. I've been told that changing the rear cassette is the cheapest option. I would be looking to buy whatever is needed on the 'cheap' on the net but Im scared to order the wrong part so if someone can point me to the right direction that would be great.
I have a full Tiagra set up so would like to remain on that or upgrade if it makes any difference for the best. Also what would be a reasonable charge to get this fitted?

martint235

Dog on a bike
changing cassette/**derailleur??

Hello
I'd like to add a couple of 'easier' gears to my Allez, just to help me with hills. I've been told that changing the rear cassette is the cheapest option. I would be looking to buy whatever is needed on the 'cheap' on the net but Im scared to order the wrong part so if someone can point me to the right direction that would be great.
I have a full Tiagra set up so would like to remain on that or upgrade if it makes any difference for the best. Also what would be a reasonable charge to get this fitted?

Just get a Tiagra cassette with a different gear series to the one you have. So if you want easier gears and you currently have 25-11 9 speed then order a 27-12 9 speed cassette. Fitting it is extremely easy with the correct tools. You just undo a lock nut, take the old cassette off, put the new one on, put the lock nut back in.

So long as you've replaced like with like in the number of gears, your shifter and derailleur should be ok

martint235

Dog on a bike
hi Martin thanks for the reply. I cant find a 27-12 9 speed combination

would any of these do??
12-25 9 speed
14-25 9 speed
13-26 8 speed ?

thanks

It also depends on what you currently have. If you already have a 25 large sprocket then you won't gain anything by the top two. If you go for an 8 speed you'll need to do something about your shifter (I'm sure someone on here would know what to do).

In the mean time there's this one which would give you a much easier gear to work with (here). It's a 11-32. I don't know what rear derailleur you have and whether or not you'd need to change it to accommodate the 32 tooth sprocket. Short cage probably wouldn't do it but maybe someone else could advise on that.

OP
OP
xxmimixx

xxmimixx

at the moment I've got this

Cassette:Shimano Tiagra, 9-speed, 11-25 tooth range
Shifters:Shimano Tiagra, 9-speed STI, flight deck compatible
Rear Derailleur:Shimano Tiagra, short cageBrake
Levers:Shimano Tiagra, 9-speed STI, flight deck compatible

hope this helps..

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
at the moment I've got this

Cassette:Shimano Tiagra, 9-speed, 11-25 tooth range
Shifters:Shimano Tiagra, 9-speed STI, flight deck compatible
Rear Derailleur:Shimano Tiagra, short cageBrake
Levers:Shimano Tiagra, 9-speed STI, flight deck compatible

hope this helps..

Ok so the cassette is a 11 - 25, if you change to a 11 - 32 cassette as per Martins link then I think at the same time you are going to have to change the rear derailleur to at least a medium rather than the short you currently have and you will need a new chain as well.

It is possible depending on how many miles you have done on it that you may also have to replace the front chainrings as everything wears together and you may find that the chain could slip.

WychwoodTrev

Are you on a double or triple chain ring on the front ? If its double then changing that to a triple might be easyer

Top Bottom