Changing rear cassette

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mr_cellophane

Legendary Member
I have an old mountain bike with a 5 speed rear cassette.  The cassette, chain and cable are very worn and I plan to change the all.

I am quite happy to change them like for like, but 5 speed cassettes are hard to come by so I plan to change to to a 6 or 7 speed.

My questions are;

1)  Will I need a different chain length ?

2)  Will I need to change the rear derailier ?

I know I will have to change the shifter and will probably go from twist to lever type.

PpPete

Legendary Member
5 speed ?
are you sure it's a cassette? not a freewheel ?
See here

stephec

Legendary Member
If you can't find a five speed freewheel somewhere then it's going to be -

Shifters
Chain
Cassette
Wheel
Rear mech
Slight possibility of new chainrings/chainset as well

Is the OLD on your existing frame the same as it is for 8/9 speed MTB hubs, ie 135mm?

Once you've added up the cost of all those though, depending on the quality of the bike it might be worth looking at picking up a bike second hand to replace it instead.

PpPete

Legendary Member
No reason why you shouldn't try a 6 speed freewheel (as opposed to a cassette) - wouldn't bother with 7 speed freewheels.
Chain pitch & chain width are the same for 6/7/8 speeds.
Chain length - depends on whether biggest freewheel sprocket is same as previously.
See here for correct method of determining length.
Rear mech .. try it with new shifters, if it doesnt work replace.
Changing old freewheel equipped bikes to 8/9/10 speed is very expensive.... and only marginally worth it on really nice or much beloved frames.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
If pushed you can always adjust the 5 speed rear mech to select 2 - 6 missing out the lowest gear.

To make a 5 speed gear selector go thru 6 gears you are more than likely to either snap cables or strip the gear selector.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
I have an old mountain bike with a 5 speed rear cassette. The cassette, chain and cable are very worn and I plan to change the all.

I am quite happy to change them like for like, but 5 speed cassettes are hard to come by so I plan to change to to a 6 or 7 speed.

My questions are;

1) Will I need a different chain length ?

2) Will I need to change the rear derailier ?

I know I will have to change the shifter and will probably go from twist to lever type.

As Porkypete have said you are likely to have a freewheel rather than a cassette.

New 5 speed freewheels are by no means hard to get. For example see these and this. I believe Halfrauds sell bucket loads of them (for £13 a pop, own brand ones to boot!) on a daily basis e.g., many new (cheap) bikes only have 5 speeds.

However as you can see from the sjs selection yours might or might not be "standard" iso threaded, or have 5.5mm pitch. It is worth checking.

Assuming you are replacing the old with a new 5 speed freewheel (thereby sidestepping all potential hub / frame OLD / shifter issues), the answers to your questions are:

1) As others have said you only need a longer / shorter chain if the largest new cog is larger / smaller than the old one. But since you are getting a new chain, if I were you I would ignore what is there and have the ideal length calculated.

2) Assuming it works you will need to change your rear mech only if a) the largest new rear cog is larger than the largest old cog AND b) the rear mech's capacity is exceeded in terms of either max cog size allowed or max chain wrap capacity. But since in practice such max limits are neither an exact science nor is manufacturer's spec reliable, if I were you I would try to see what the existing mech can do. This is the best article I have ever seen on how to squeeze the maximum capacity out of a rear mech.

Hope it helps.

subaqua

What’s the point
If you can't find a five speed freewheel somewhere then it's going to be -

Shifters
Chain
Cassette
Wheel
Rear mech
Slight possibility of new chainrings/chainset as well

Is the OLD on your existing frame the same as it is for 8/9 speed MTB hubs, ie 135mm?

Once you've added up the cost of all those though, depending on the quality of the bike it might be worth looking at picking up a bike second hand to replace it instead.

i looked at doing this on my old BSA westcoast. by the time i had costed the parts and my time it was almost cheaper to buy my new (lighter) rockrider . go on you know you want to buy a new bike

Top Bottom