changing stem size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tubbylee

hello all,i found a bargain on the net a full carbon 3t stem for 40euro,the stem is 100mm and my current stem is 110mm ,when sitting upright with my hands on top of the bars by the stem i lean slightly forwards,im assuming a shorter stem will put me in an upright position which i believe would be more comfortable,am i correct,i should also add this is my first road bike only two weeks old,ive been riding a sirrus elite for a year now,im a sciattica sufferer only when im in the saddle for hours,i like to sit upright occasionally and stretch my back which seems to help ,so am i correct in thinking a shorter stem will be better,or would 10mm difference even be noticable anyway,thankyou

I was down-sized by the bike fitter from 110 to 90 when I bought my CAAD 10 recently. I felt more comfortable on the 90, but didn't feel more noticeably 'upright'.

I've heard that having a shorter stem makes the bike more 'nervous' or twitchy, but I haven't experienced that.

See if you can have a 'trial' with the shorter stem and see how it goes.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I was down-sized by the bike fitter from 110 to 90 when I bought my CAAD 10 recently. I felt more comfortable on the 90, but didn't feel more noticeably 'upright'.

I've heard that having a shorter stem makes the bike more 'nervous' or twitchy, but I haven't experienced that.

See if you can have a 'trial' with the shorter stem and see how it goes.

The twitchiness is certainly true on a MTB. It also makes the bike more manoeuvrable on technical terrain.

aberal

Veteran
A 10mm difference is noticeable, surprisingly so. It will mean that you do sit more upright, which could suit your riding style, though not guaranteed.

Will1985

Über Member
A 3T Arx LTD for 40€ sounds a little too good to be true.....and you know what they say about that.

I agree with the others - 10mm is very noticeable. After a while riding one setup it's surprising how easy it is to perceive small changes, especially seatpost height. You may want to play around with the stem spacers and a flipped stem to see how front end height affects your comfort.

OP
OP
T

tubbylee

i think you could be right about being too good to be true,the site was a chinese wholesailer after studying the picture i noticed the decor of the stem is slightly different to the real deal ,oh well im after ordering a cervelo team kit off the same site,god knows what crap i will get,i got got carried away with the cheap prices,thanks

02GF74

Über Member
depends on the rise too; but yes, a shorter stem will move you slightly towards upright position.

Top Bottom