Charge Spoon Saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

3narf

For whom the bell dings
I've done 1000 miles on mine since November (I bought it a couple of years ago but didn't ride much 'til recently) and it's absolutely superb. I generally get on OK with skinny saddles but I've had not a hint of discomfort - I simply don't think about it for mile after mile. Also it's smart, stylish and it still looks almost new (it's the brown one btw).

At c. £22.50 I can't fault it in any way; if you are in the market for a saddle and you're on a budget, buy one. If money is no object, still buy one. I don't see how a £150 saddle could be any better in terms of comfort or style. Maybe leather would last longer but I can see mine being fine for a while yet!

Product of the decade?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've got a Knife - bit lighter and it's very comfy. The base snapped in two in the autumn on my first one, 18 months old, but Wiggle replaced it no problem. Paid less than £40 for it originally with the Ti rails - just over 200g

Manonabike

Über Member
I've done 1000 miles on mine since November (I bought it a couple of years ago but didn't ride much 'til recently) and it's absolutely superb. I generally get on OK with skinny saddles but I've had not a hint of discomfort - I simply don't think about it for mile after mile. Also it's smart, stylish and it still looks almost new (it's the brown one btw).

At c. £22.50 I can't fault it in any way; if you are in the market for a saddle and you're on a budget, buy one. If money is no object, still buy one. I don't see how a £150 saddle could be any better in terms of comfort or style. Maybe leather would last longer but I can see mine being fine for a while yet!

Product of the decade?

This post reminded me I still got one, must remember to put it on ebay.... unless somebody makes me a serious offer for it :biggrin:

They are becoming very popular indeed. I followed one on ebay sometime ago to see what I could expect for mine and I could not believe it when it went for more money than I paid for mine new. I bought one, used it once for about 16 miles and I went back to my brooks :biggrin: -

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I've got the womens' version (called a Ladle :biggrin:) on both the commuter/tourer and the mtb. Brilliant things for the money. Bit too beefy for the road bike, but the Specialized Ruby I've got on that cost four times as much and isn't any better-made (tho it is comfy).

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Brooks B17 Ti - product of the century?

Certainly swapped my Charge Spoon for one; fair play, the charge sold very fast on fleabay

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I saw a Brooks on a Charge Duster on Saturday. How perverse is that?? It looked horrible.

looked horrible? spoon to clunky for a road bike? are we suffering from marketing gullability/fashion victim problems here?

theclaud

Openly Marxist
looked horrible? spoon to clunky for a road bike? are we suffering from marketing gullability/fashion victim problems here?

I'm afraid I get a bit Dellzeqqy about Brooks saddles. And Rolls saddles are even worse. Expensive instruments of torture. And of course for Brooks enthusiasts their saddles are just as much of a "statement" as any whippetty-slim road bike seat. But my point about the Duster was that the Knife, Spoon (see below) and even Ladle would have all looked good on it, with the added bonus of the no-brainer effect. A Brooks on it is just wrong.

SetWidth600-charge-duster-mid-2010-mountain-bike.jpg

Yes I've had a Spoon on my mtn bike for a few years now and though I don't tend to do more than 20 miles or so on the mtn bike, it's been a great saddle, cheap and comfortable.

Top Bottom