Charity man loses benefit after 200 mile cycle ride

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Van Nick said:
Do you think that he should lose his disability benefits after completing a 200-mile charity cycle ride to help his sons, who have leukaemia ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/leicestershire/7301711.stm

:smile:ffs, looks like he has a condition he was born with, and isn't pulling a fast one...
:angry: however, too many people are on disability benefit when there's plenty of things they could be doing to earn a crust and keep the wheels turning, so if he can cycle 200 miles, he can answer a phone, or teach a class, or etc etc....

Arch

Married to Night Train
Fnaar said:
:smile:ffs, looks like he has a condition he was born with, and isn't pulling a fast one...
:angry: however, too many people are on disability benefit when there's plenty of things they could be doing to earn a crust and keep the wheels turning, so if he can cycle 200 miles, he can answer a phone, or teach a class, or etc etc....

It doesn't say, but it's quite possible the benefits are for aids to help him lead as normal as life as he can - he may well work already, but need adapted help in the house or something. Also, his condition may be (I don't know about it, I admit) something that flares up unpredictably, making working reliably difficult. Or something that only allows activity in short bursts. I certainly tend to err on his side. Considering the number of people who are perfectly fit, and do work, but wouldn't consider getting off their fat arses and doing anything for charity, it seems bloody petty.

OP
OP
Van Nick

Van Nick

Yes, it's an interesting one isn't it ?

I saw him on the news last night and he was saying that he basically powered and steered his bike by only using the left side of his body.

ChrisKH

Guru
Fnaar said:

Some if not all disability benefits are paid regardless of income.

Maz

Guru
they should have a heart...he's trying to help his 2 kids who have both got leukaemia. he wasnt trying to do a paid job on the sly, it was a charity ride.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
The money raised was his thanks to the charity that had been there to support his sick children. As the money went to a charity, I don't think he 'owes' the taxpayer anything.

Who is to say that he could continue that level of mobility over a period of employment? It was a one off test of strength, determination and genorousity.

You have to consider his motivation for attempting the ride in the first place. 200 miles is also a piddling distance when you think of how many miles we able bodied choose to ride per annum.

buggi

Bird Saviour
when i went to Paris there was a guy that cycled all the way with one leg. i doubt they would have removed any benefit this man recieved.

i can quite see that this guy could do this ride, but have trouble living a day to day life, so no, i don't think this man should lose his benefits. i think they should concentrate on the real benefit cheats.

simonali

Guru
If his ability to complete the event show that he doesn't meet the criteria for the disability then he should lose it.

It's simple.

I agree. If he can ride a bike, he can work surely?

Arch

Married to Night Train
simonali said:

Where does it say he doesn't work?

And I know people who find it easier to ride a bike than walk for example - a bike is a remarkably efficient way of getting about. Or people who might manage this on a good day, but be virtually bedridden on a bad one.

He might be perfectly able to do waht he did, and still fulfil the criteria of his benefits, which might simply be a top up to help pay for special equipment or something.

simonali

Guru
Arch said:
He might be perfectly able to do waht he did, and still fulfil the criteria of his benefits

I'm guessing that as the benefits were taken away from him that is not the case?

buddha

Veteran
simonali said:

[sarcasm]
My bank manager is disabled. He can't get from one place to another without using a car. And has great difficulty in thinking rationally and logically.
So if he can 'work' ...
[/sarcasm]

Top Bottom