Charlotte Ross on RLJing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spindrift

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/stand...e+cyclists+need+to+jump+red+lights/article.do

Dave's right: we cyclists need to jump red lights

charlotte.ross.gif
Charlotte Ross
placeDeferredAd('sky', 'AAMSZ=120x600');

As a confirmed liberal Leftie, I am not averse to finding pleasure in David Cameron's discomfort. Yet for once I did not share in the Schadenfreude after he was caught breaking half the rules in the Highway Code.

LLB

Followed by a comment.........

andygates

Am I some sort of red-light-obeying freak, then? Or just an ordinarily competent, ordinarily patient road user. I've never needed to jump red lights.

And much, much more important than my convenience is consistency of behaviour. People on the road mostly do what we expect them to do, and that's why the roads are so safe. The more special cases we have, the more there is for people to get wrong. One rule for all, dammit. It works just fine if you're not an impetuous oaf.

LLB

I use a red light as an excuse to catch my breath when I ride the cycle spinners. If I wanted to commute in the shortest possible time, I'd use a motorcycle instead, not just put other lives at risk because I feel there should be special rules to suit the ignorant !

OP
OP
S

spindrift

linfordlunchbox said:
I use a red light as an excuse to catch my breath when I ride the cycle spinners. If I wanted to commute in the shortest possible time, I'd use a motorcycle instead, not just put other lives at risk because I feel there should be special rules to suit the ignorant !
beanie.jpg

andygates

No idea but it looks like it belongs in one of the silly places, not here.

civ

You would be laughed out of the room if you claimed that a motoring journalist like Jeremy Clarkson represented all motorists, but when somebody in the media writes about cycling, they then represent all cyclists - or so I've come to believe by reading comments on these types of articles :smile:

Also, from the comments:

However, as a pedestrian I'm fed up of waiting for the little green man to cross then have to take life and limb in hand as people like you cycle straight at me.

I've always found it strange how hard it seems to be for non cyclists to judge the speed of a bike.

You end up with the people like this guy, who think they go along at 100mph, knocking everything out of their way and running down pedestrians.

Then you have the other group, who think they go at 5mph everywhere, holding everyone up

Tynan

Veteran
I've never ever seen a red light that needed to be jumped, the odd stop line to roll in front of maybe under certain cirumstances, yet another cycling myth put out by people to justify their behaviour

andygates

I have - defective ones that don't sense you and so don't give you a green. Or the occasional utterly deserted crossing that's gone a bit mental. The rules are clear under those circumstances: treat them as a "stop" line and proceed with caution.

"Need" to jump red lights is like "need" to speed in a car. "Want" and "am used to" and "you're not the boss of me" are closer to it.

OP
OP
S

spindrift

You would be laughed out of the room if you claimed that a motoring journalist like Jeremy Clarkson represented all motorists, but when somebody in the media writes about cycling, they then represent all cyclists - or so I've come to believe by reading comments on these types of articles

Exactly!

I didn't even condone Ross, yet the resident paranoid petrol head assumes that i do.

Yep, I RLJ when it's safe on deserted roads, nope, I would not encourage it, rules are there for everyone.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
andygates said:
I have - defective ones that don't sense you and so don't give you a green. Or the occasional utterly deserted crossing that's gone a bit mental. The rules are clear under those circumstances: treat them as a "stop" line and proceed with caution.

"Need" to jump red lights is like "need" to speed in a car. "Want" and "am used to" and "you're not the boss of me" are closer to it.

Even these lights you don't need to jump, although it's arguably legal since the light is defective. You could dismount and walk the junction to be legal without any doubt.

Not to say I do, I used to have a light like this on my commute, and I'd do as you do.

Top Bottom