1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Charlotte Ross on RLJing

Discussion in 'Commuting' started by spindrift, 27 Mar 2008.

1. spindrift

spindrift New Member

2. LLB

LLB Guest

Followed by a comment.........

3. andygates

andygates New Member

Am I some sort of red-light-obeying freak, then? Or just an ordinarily competent, ordinarily patient road user. I've never needed to jump red lights.

And much, much more important than my convenience is consistency of behaviour. People on the road mostly do what we expect them to do, and that's why the roads are so safe. The more special cases we have, the more there is for people to get wrong. One rule for all, dammit. It works just fine if you're not an impetuous oaf.

4. spindrift

spindrift New Member

[​IMG]

5. LLB

LLB Guest

I use a red light as an excuse to catch my breath when I ride the cycle spinners. If I wanted to commute in the shortest possible time, I'd use a motorcycle instead, not just put other lives at risk because I feel there should be special rules to suit the ignorant !

6. spindrift

spindrift New Member

beanie.jpg

7. I always stop at reds – apart from all the usual reasons most people stop at red lights, I also think it keeps you fitter as well!

8. sadjack

sadjack Senior Member

Spindrift, what are you on?

Am I missing something, feel like I'm on the outside of some "in" joke :smile:

9. andygates

andygates New Member

No idea but it looks like it belongs in one of the silly places, not here.

10. civ

civ New Member

You would be laughed out of the room if you claimed that a motoring journalist like Jeremy Clarkson represented all motorists, but when somebody in the media writes about cycling, they then represent all cyclists - or so I've come to believe by reading comments on these types of articles :smile:

Also, from the comments:

I've always found it strange how hard it seems to be for non cyclists to judge the speed of a bike.

You end up with the people like this guy, who think they go along at 100mph, knocking everything out of their way and running down pedestrians.

Then you have the other group, who think they go at 5mph everywhere, holding everyone up

11. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

I've never ever seen a red light that needed to be jumped, the odd stop line to roll in front of maybe under certain cirumstances, yet another cycling myth put out by people to justify their behaviour

12. andygates

andygates New Member

I have - defective ones that don't sense you and so don't give you a green. Or the occasional utterly deserted crossing that's gone a bit mental. The rules are clear under those circumstances: treat them as a "stop" line and proceed with caution.

"Need" to jump red lights is like "need" to speed in a car. "Want" and "am used to" and "you're not the boss of me" are closer to it.

13. Tynan

Tynan Veteran

never seen those loop ones, that or there's always a car in London to do it for you

14. spindrift

spindrift New Member

You would be laughed out of the room if you claimed that a motoring journalist like Jeremy Clarkson represented all motorists, but when somebody in the media writes about cycling, they then represent all cyclists - or so I've come to believe by reading comments on these types of articles

Exactly!

I didn't even condone Ross, yet the resident paranoid petrol head assumes that i do.

Yep, I RLJ when it's safe on deserted roads, nope, I would not encourage it, rules are there for everyone.

15. BentMikey

BentMikey Rider of Seolferwulf

Even these lights you don't need to jump, although it's arguably legal since the light is defective. You could dismount and walk the junction to be legal without any doubt.

Not to say I do, I used to have a light like this on my commute, and I'd do as you do.