chased by a dog - eek

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

notsolazy

I was on the last little bit of the cycle route coming to my house (disused railway). I could see a couple and an Alsation in front of me so I slowed down. The couple took hold of the dog and stood to the side to let me past. I thanked them and slowly picked up speed again. I was doing a fair pace when I heard the man yell 'No. Get back here'. I could hear the dog growling snarling and barking. I slammed on the anchors and came to a stop just seconds before the dog went for me. Luckily it missed - phew. Cue the dog owner running up and grabbing the dog that was still running around me snarling and barking and apologising profusely. I hate dogs. :smile:

Has anyone else been chased after by dogs, what happened, and what's the best thing to do because there is no way to outpace an animal like an Alsation.

sticky sherbert

Turn on them and give them your hardest face and loudest shout, something simple like "GO HOME!" As long as there not cornered it usually works for me.

I've not been chased by a dog on my bike yet, but really annoys me when dogs act like that not sure who to blame the owner or dog. I've been biten a few times..guess dogs just dont like me!

Be assertive.

A couple of months ago a huge dog came into our garden just as I was outside with our puppy. This dog started to be aggressive and intimidating. I puffed myself up and started towards it making snarling noises. It backed of, turned tail and left.

purplepolly

The RSPCA advice on this a while ago was not to try and get away. Not just because you won't outpace the dog, but mainly because they're carnivores and it makes you prey. On the bike it also makes you less human because the shape's different.

As sticky says, face the animal and be assertive - you're the superior being. And if that doesn't work and it does attack you could always use the bike as a shield or weapon.

You could also try dismounting and walking past dog walkers while talking to them and the dog, then the dog will know what you are when you cycle off again. A bit time consuming, so maybe just for larger dogs.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
notsolazy said:
I was on the last little bit of the cycle route coming to my house (disused railway). I could see a couple and an Alsation in front of me so I slowed down. The couple took hold of the dog and stood to the side to let me past. I thanked them and slowly picked up speed again. I was doing a fair pace when I heard the man yell 'No. Get back here'. I could hear the dog growling snarling and barking. I slammed on the anchors and came to a stop just seconds before the dog went for me. Luckily it missed - phew. Cue the dog owner running up and grabbing the dog that was still running around me snarling and barking and apologising profusely. I hate dogs. :smile:

Has anyone else been chased after by dogs, what happened, and what's the best thing to do because there is no way to outpace an animal like an Alsation.

Theres two ways to deal with an aggresive dog,if you hang your head and back away slowly allowing the dog to feel dominant most dogs will be satisfied they have won and leave you slink away.

That is easier said than done though .When one went for me recently I jumped off the bike used it like a riot shield,charged at the dog shouting,it got the message and backed off.

Worst thing to do is to try to out run it .

scook94

Veteran
Touche said:
Be assertive.

A couple of months ago a huge dog came into our garden just as I was outside with our puppy. This dog started to be aggressive and intimidating. I puffed myself up and started towards it making snarling noises. It backed of, turned tail and left.

Cesar Millan would have been proud of you!

scook94

Veteran
roundisland said:
I've not been chased by a dog on my bike yet, but really annoys me when dogs act like that not sure who to blame the owner or dog. I've been biten a few times..guess dogs just dont like me!

It's always the owner... Although they don't always realise it, they have failed to be pack leader.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I had a black lab go for me today owner shouted at it and it stopped but it gave me a shock if i had been in traffic could have caused an accident. I had sort of anticipated it and slowed and given them a wide berth, made no difference still reacted. Last thing i really want to do 18 miles into a ride is get off my bike and push.

Funk-Meister

this is incredibly annoying...i find aiming for the mutt whilst slowing down gives the dog and front wheel in the mid-riff and in slowing down prevents you coming a cropper.

However much annoying the dog is its the owners that i'd really want to get even with. Where's the lead?????

purplepolly

Funk-Meister said:
Where's the lead?????

A lead's only necessary near traffic or if it's a puppy, incredibly thick, very agressive or blind. Any other dog is capable of learning simple commands. As the dogs in question, an alsation and a labrador, are intelligent animals that benefit from training, one can only come to the conclusion that the owners are a bit lacking. Therefore they wouldn't think of a lead.

-walsh-

on the subject of a lead I had a near miss recently, riding on a cycle path through the woods and a dog with its owner were coming towards me. the dog was on the lead, as it was a few meteres away it decides to run accross my path, I slammed on the brakes and nearly had the lead wrapped around my front wheel. stupid extendable leads!

Garz

Squat Member
notsolazy said:

I was almost home one day last year after a 25 miler on my hybrid when a stray came from a back alley and ran straight for me on a main road. I couldnt shake it off it was trying to jump up at me and go for my left ankle. After about 30 yds of struggling I got to a major roundabout junction over a dual carriageway when I had to start kicking it in the head to shoe it away. Even though cars were stopping and just watching my lucky moment came when the dog spotted a cheap unbranded style KFC chicken box in the middle of the roundabout near me and went to sniff/eat.

At this moment I bolted and about 100 yds after I was home, albeit with a much higher heart rate than usual..

OP
OP
N

notsolazy

I would have loved to have been assertive, but I work with these dogs when we need a dog handler and I know that they only listen to the commands of their owner and plus I really really dislike dogs as I was attacked several times by them when I was a kid.
Garz - lucky that box was there really

Top Bottom