Chasing the Numbers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JiMBR

Having just fitted my new cycle computer (Cateye Strada Wireless), I find myself using it not only as an interesting source of information but a silent training instructor.

My steed is a Spesh MTB hardtail (fitted with Continental Town & Country tyres and SPD pedals) and I'm finding that I already enjoy 'chasing the numbers.'

Can I beat my commute time?...what is my highest top speed? etc etc.

It has taken me a while to get around to buying it, but I'm glad I did....I think it will make me work that bit harder, which is always a good thing.

zophiel

Veteran
i tend to do this also. try to knock so much time off each day. sometimes it works other i am to tired to care.

rh100

I don't try to beat my commute time - prefer to arrive least sweaty as poss'.

However, on Monday I did a 10 mile run to the countryside after work and timed it, went quick as I could (not very) and stopped as little as poss' - did it in about 1hr10m with an average of about 9mph. Hoping to push to try and increase it. But for leisure rides it's the mileage I'm trying to increase, up to 24 mile so far.

zophiel

Veteran
its not a problem where i work as they have a locker room and showers.

on the weekends I do also go for the distance increases over some set routes as well.

Yes it is a good training guide. Just be careful not to focus on it too much. Better to get there safely and slower than not at all (says he who beat his best average speed recently! :tongue:)

OP
OP
JiMBR

JiMBR

Yep...I'm definitely aware of not focusing too much on it.

Managed to just break the 30mph on the way in this morning. :smile:

JiMBR said:
Yep...I'm definitely aware of not focusing too much on it.

Managed to just break the 30mph on the way in this morning. :smile:

Ah I go above 30mph on every commute. One of the reasons I love the Clyde Tunnel.....:smile:

Top Bottom