Cheap Folder - is this worth a punt?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm looking for a cheap folder - basically it only needs to get me down the road for about 1.5 miles (and it's a flat road) a few times a week, to be then shoved in the boot of a car.

Found this one on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-Folding-Bi...ZViewItemQQptZUK_Bikes_GL?hash=item2a01f4868f

Not a known brand and pretty heavy, but seems reasonable for the price and what I want it for. I just don't need anything like a brompton, etc and don't want an expensive one where I will just worry about it getting knicked, but don't want to end up with a complete bso either.

Also, would it fit my 34 inch legs? Can't work out where the seatpost measurements are taken from... Would it be from the floor or the BB?

I know I'd probably be better of going second hand, but there is just something about a brand new shiny bike, even if it's a cheapo....

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
This thread on YACF might be of interest;
http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=24859.0

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
surely it's worth going round the second hand shops. they usually have old raleigh's or shoppers in. my mate got one for £20.

34" legs, wow thats long. how tall are you punky?

OP
OP
punkypossum

punkypossum

Donut Devil
Just under 6 foot - The stress about my electrics must have made me appear smaller when we met!;) Seriously tho, with it being a rather basic machine for a basic purpose, how much can actually go wrong? The yacf thread never really gave the outcome...

That Compass Marine one seems to get good reviews and is in a similar price range, so surely they can't all be complete cr@p???

I wouldn't buy before seeing it 'in person'. At a cycling promotional event we stumbled over in Portsmouth there was a stall where you could try out different bikes. We had a go on some of the other folding bikes, the ride styles on them all are very different, but I was particularly unimpressed with the screws/bolts that you needed to loosen/tighten to fold one of them up - they were very stiff and hurt my hands. If I had to do that every day...

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
punkypossum said:
That Compass Marine one seems to get good reviews and is in a similar price range, so surely they can't all be complete cr@p???
The YACF thread is an ongoing review - if you can wait to buy, it could be worth following.

I've heard the Compass Marine often recommended as a budget choice (I'm sure the foldsoc website has done as much).

[SIZE=-1]A to B tip: [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]Unless you're looking for a rare top-end model, our advice is to ignore the Dahon brand altogether and go for a cheaper 'badge-engineered' model. Our top buy at the moment is a German-market 20-inch Dahon with a Compass Marine badge for just £70. Why pay more?
(AtoB magazine)
http://www.atob.org.uk/Buyers'_Guide.html
[/SIZE]

Just noticed your time of posting - I have a rule never to act on anything decided after midnight until I've slept...

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
ChrisKH said:
Cor, now I've seen that, I rather fancy one. I have a lot of the bling ready for it.

Tell me about it.

I found an abandoned one near home last year - toyed with the idea of grabbing it, but decided against...

tyred

Legendary Member
As a R20 owner, I would recommend one. The only thing I will say is to check the bottom bracket for play as these are non-standard parts and replacements won't be expensive but can take a bit of tracking down.

urbanfatboy

Über Member
Do the bling!!

I took mine from this
pbpic928466.jpg

to this
pbpic1091617.jpg

It was fun!!!

Having said that, my advice if you want an easily trasportable folder for short runs is to go for a 16" wheel version, preferably without a derallieur, either a single or perhaps a sturmey 3 speed

you'll get a S/H Dahon of this type
pbpic1526605.jpg
for under a hundred or even better its 3 speed equivalent, without the diagonal for a few quid more. i always carry one in my car.
or it's 3 speed equivalent for un

Attachments

• pbpic928466.jpg
    pbpic928466.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 73
  • pbpic1091617.jpg
    pbpic1091617.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 67
  • pbpic1526605.jpg
    pbpic1526605.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 81

tyred

Legendary Member
ANother oldie to consider is the Dawes Kingpin. Similar to the Raleigh Twenty, more exclusive and apparently a superior product (according to some. I have never rode one).

Top Bottom