1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cheap kit

Discussion in 'Fixed Gear and Single Speed' started by Dave5N, 25 Apr 2008.

1. Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Bought my son his first track bike, but need to radically reduce the gearing from 48-14 to 39-14, or 47-17 or similar combination. Not sure what the smallest chainring I can fit on the existing cranks is - I'd guess not too small.

Anyone reccommend a cheap source of chainrings and sprockets? Internet or Midlands?

2. why dont you try 48-16 or 48-17 it is easier to find bigger and smaller sprockets then it is finding a new chainring the right size and BCD.

3. OP
    OP
    Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

Ideally I'd like smaller rings - less chain. It is I think 144 BCD and I need a 42t - anyone have something they would be willing to sell/swap?

4. how many arms is the spider? 4 or 5

5. dan_bo

dan_bo How much does it cost to Oldham?

have a look on ebay-if you're just trying out combos save the good stuff 'till you've settled on something.

6. OP
    OP
    Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

5 arms - 48 17 is too big anyway.

7. Zoiders

Zoiders New Member

Goldtec in Newcastle Under Lyme

Rings for £15, I picked up a track sprocket for less than a tenner from the Bike Shack in Stone as well

8. OP
    OP
    Dave5N

Dave5N Über Member

SOrted at 41-15 - I might see if 42-15 creeps under - according to my maths it's about 3cm under the limit.