Cheapest way to e?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cerdic

I used to cycle to work, then the company moved us to a different location which is further away. It's only ten miles from my home but after a 10+ hour shift I'm too knackered to bike it. And it's all uphill!

So I've started wondering if an ebike is what I need.

Being a skinflint though, I don't want to spend much money. Well actually I don't want to spend ANY money but I realise this is probably a touch unrealistic!

The budget options seem to be: an absolute 'bargain basement' new BSO, something second-hand which will probably need a new battery, build one using an old steel hybrid plus one of those cheap Chinese kits off eBay or Amazon.

I'm not interested in illegal speed, or massive range. Just something cheap'n'cheerful that will do 20 miles and get me up the hill!

Thoughts and advice ladies and gentlemen please...

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think your best option is to buy a donor bike secondhand (steel or aluminium) and get a wheel conversion. Fairly straightforward to do, plenty of vids on YouTube.

Last edited:

CXRAndy

Guru
Probably the cheapest is convert an older bike with a kit. Look at TSDZ2 or Bafang BBS 01/02 kits. You need a battery also, some kits come with everything.

Other option is used ebike, a bit unknown, but with test ride should be able to check over.

Then cheap new ebike. Look up cycle to work for ebikes. You could aak your employer about it.

Drago

Legendary Member
Thoughts?

I worked 12 hour shifts that often over ran by a few hours (the record was 21) and cycled. A 10 hour working day is no barrier to cycling, unless youre a marsthon runner at work or something,

OP
OP
Cerdic

Cerdic

Thoughts?

I worked 12 hour shifts that often over ran by a few hours (the record was 21) and cycled. A 10 hour working day is no barrier to cycling, unless youre a marsthon runner at work or something,

So I'm a lightweight...bovvered...^_^

It does kinda depend on your budget as well

OK a conversion of an old bike will be cheaper -
But if you look at the online bikeshops they sometimes have last years models at a reduced price

if you get lucky they might have some left over stock
but - clearly - thins a bad year for getting lucky at that sort of thing!!

But if can get hold of one then an ebike designed to be an ebike from the start might be better quality
or not

Top Bottom