Cheshire Cat 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Well done.

Might just consider it for 2010....2009 was out due to bike accident.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Blimey! Close to home for me that, it's about three miles from my house to the start!

Edit: That's a very cool route, I do some of it occasionally on my Sunday rides.

Can I get fit enough to ride a century, I wonder? Hmm.

Edit 2: And riding with other people? Hmm.

OP
OP
therams

therams

fossyant said:
Well done.

Might just consider it for 2010....2009 was out due to bike accident.

I have not done it yet!

TBH its going to be very tough for me. I did the Manc 100 last year, not too bad, but this is taking it to the next level (quite literally!). Plus its early in the year.

I also find I need a goal to work towards or I don't bother training, so this is going to keep me on the bike over the winter.

OP
OP
therams

therams

John the Monkey said:
Blimey! Close to home for me that, it's about three miles from my house to the start!

Edit: That's a very cool route, I do some of it occasionally on my Sunday rides.

Can I get fit enough to ride a century, I wonder? Hmm.

Edit 2: And riding with other people? Hmm.

What is Mow Cop like, looks like a bit of a killer at 15miles in?

OP
OP
therams

therams

John the Monkey said:
Probably better there than at 75, though :ohmy:

Yes the route from about 32 miles in does not seem to bad. It will just be a killer getting over the first 4 hills, with enough left for 70 more miles!

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
I've just signed up for the 67 mile route, mainly cos I dont trust the weather, and another 30 odd in the wind/rain is just a tad much.

Anyone know if I can change my mind on the day, and do the longer route?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
therams said:
It's easy enough to do a recce - if you can get your bike to Piccadilly, just hop on the train, the route more or less goes past Crewe station!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
That route looks more sensible - getting the steep bits over first, rather than riding 50 miles on flat, then getting hit..... and it's a new route....

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Is there a time limit?

I have studied the link but couldnt find any mention of the time limit?Anyone know.

OP
OP
therams

therams

Banjo said:
I have studied the link but couldnt find any mention of the time limit?Anyone know.

I looked for the same, but I am not aware of one. Is there normally one for this event?

Dilbert

I am considering having a go at the 45, as it will be my first one, I have just got the road bike and not been back cycling long so 45 miles and 1500 ft of ascent seem a realistic target to train for over the winter.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
therams said:

I did the 100 miler on very little training last year; Mow Cop was tough - I had to get off just before the top. And there was no shame in that; when I started to walk, at least 50% of the other riders near me were doing likewise.

It IS much steeper than it looks on the photos.

Mow Cop isn't '15 miles in', more like 55 or 60 miles. I had way too many miles in the legs before I got there and I made the big mistake of going off too fast. I got to 50 miles in just under 3 hours; the next 50 took me 5 hours. But it was my first ever ride over 50 miles, so I was on a big learning curve.

I found Macc Forest too be tougher; consequently, I think that I'll be doing the 100km next year - I want to get up Mow Cop next time.

Make sure that you give yourself plenty of time to get to the event and the starting line in a calm & composed manner.

Enjoy it and best of luck !

Top Bottom