Childhood toys...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
Me and my bro were thinking about which toys we loved as kids. A couple we had were:
Action Man in Military Police uniform (realistic hair and 'eagle-eyes'!):
2qvrzav.jpg

and Evel Knievel stunt motorbike (lost a lot of knuckle skin turning the handle):
70s-evel-ad.jpg

What toys did you have?

Fnaar

Smutmaster General

Sekiden!

c10.jpg

sekiden_gun.jpg

Painting the OO & HO gauge wincy plastic figures and All things Airfix. Balsa wood.

My best thing was a 40 set of felt tip pens - for artists - by Staedtler circa 1967 from Rowneys in Percy Place. They occupied me, along with a drawing pen and a bottle of black ink from Windsor & Newton. I can still sense the smell as I write!:laugh:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I had a clockwork train set, which I have since seen in the Bethnal Green Toy Museum. I lost the key so one day when my parents took me to London to see Santa in a big store, I thought I'd get Santa to give me a replacement key, Santa being able of course to obtain any gift for small children. So after he'd Yo-Hoed a bit and probably put his hand down my pants, he asked me what I wanted. I remember asking for a key and I remember the consternation as several elves and pixies were despatched to find a key. Eventually with a triumphant flourish they produced a yellow plastic Yale key. I remember being embarrassed and realising that they didn't understand me, shaking my head and muttering "No, not that kind of key..." and then lots of tutting and "really" and "well what kind of key DO you want....?" then being sent on my way with something completely useless.

Mr Pig

Lego was by far the most important toy, we had tons of it and I could play with it for days on end. Built a lot of plastic model kits too.

I liked my bike, Mk II Chopper. Heavy but very comfortable, and to this day the coolest bike ever made! ;0)

We had about six Action Men, a Scout Car, Tank and other bits and bobs. Tough little guys but clearly not trained for dealing with big swings from a golf club!

We lived opposite a big grass hill so anything that had wheels and you could sit on was good.

Incidentally, I have a brand new Evil Knievel sitting here! They reissued it, using the original moulds and everything so he's exactly the same as the one you had as a kid. I thought my son would love it but he's not interested!

puddleglum

lego space, star wars figures and my plastic farm ;)

stephec

Legendary Member
Action man from the mid seventies was the tops, I had -

three action men
motor bike and sidecar
tank
helicopter
space capsule

My mam and dad bought me a few bits then a load of the stuff was given to me by a friend of a friend. When all that lot turned up one day it was like Chrismas coming early. ;)

Ps. And a hang glider! It didn't work very well though. :laugh::sad:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Lego, Evil Kinevel, plastic soldiers, Action Men (eagle eyes too and the control tower with the death slide - now that was good). My Chopper was also great - had a black one - lasted years until I got a Coventry Eagle racer !!

mondobongo

Über Member
Me and my brother played with Action Men for hours, Mountaineering expeditions up the stairs and all sorts we had the helicopter and scout car as well.

We built some massive ramps for Evel to jump as well.

I was too old for it but remember my little brother getting Castle Greyskull for Christmas.

Skull machines saw us get plaster of paris everywhere, Mum was impressed.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Aperitif said:
Sekiden!

c10.jpg

sekiden_gun.jpg

Painting the OO & HO gauge wincy plastic figures and All things Airfix. Balsa wood.

My best thing was a 40 set of felt tip pens - for artists - by Staedtler circa 1967 from Rowneys in Percy Place. They occupied me, along with a drawing pen and a bottle of black ink from Windsor & Newton. I can still sense the smell as I write!;)
Hey, I remember those!!!

We convinced ourselves they could kill at close range with a shot to the head, I think everyone at school was packing one till the head banned them. The playground used to be like the rough quarter of Baghdad on a bad day.

One of the best toys ever, they would never get away with them today.

Top Bottom