Children in Need

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Enw.nigel

Have any of you fellow cyclists been watching Matt Bakers' rickshaw challenge for Children in Need? He is presently cycling from Edinburgh to London on a rickshaw with passengers at times - a total of 484 miles. The man is a hero. It must be difficult to do this on an ordinary bike with some of the climbs he has had to face. Tomorrow (Tuesday) is his longest day mileage wise - a total of 78 miles.
C'mon Matt - well worth sponsoring.

Matty

Good shout. Looks pretty arduous - rickshaw clearly not made for speed and often laden with passengers.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
updates on the one show every night i believe, if you can put up with either the show or their guests...
however i'd love to join him for a stretch, sadly he's doing the east coast only.

updates on the one show every night i believe, if you can put up with either the show or their guests...
however i'd love to join him for a stretch, sadly he's doing the east coast only.

You can borrow my trailer, Pete, if you'd like to emulate the feat on this side of the Pennines

G-Zero

Über Member
Have any of you fellow cyclists been watching Matt Bakers' rickshaw challenge for Children in Need? He is presently cycling from Edinburgh to London on a rickshaw with passengers at times - a total of 484 miles. The man is a hero. It must be difficult to do this on an ordinary bike with some of the climbs he has had to face. Tomorrow (Tuesday) is his longest day mileage wise - a total of 78 miles.
C'mon Matt - well worth sponsoring.

Saw him (on TV) struggling to get grip on a steep Co. Durham hill last night and his crew were having to push down on the back of the rickshaw to get the rear wheels to grip. He looked absolutely knackered !!

Yep.... well worth sponsoring.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
You can borrow my trailer, Pete, if you'd like to emulate the feat on this side of the Pennines

Only if its loaded down with beer ;)

he looked absolutely knackered today, i think 4 days of cycling that rig has almost done him in!
hope he can push through it, its all mental, there is no spoon!

CamPhil

If I can manage to get onto a bike (see my post in the "First Recumbent" thread in the recumbent & HPV section for the story of why it might be difficult) I may try to join him for a few miles on his last day, to give a bit of moral support.
If he can pedal that tank all the way from Edinburgh to London I should at least be able to find a launcher & catcher to manage a few miles with him to show some support.
He'll be passing the end of my road, so I haven't got far to go to meet him :smile:
Anyone know what time he starts in the mornings, or does it vary depending on expected duration, to give an ETA to coincide with The One Show being broadcast?

Dave 123

Legendary Member
Went and saw him "finish" this evening in Cambridge. He'd been there for ages and taken a relaxing bath in the pub opposite. He said that pedalling the rickshaw through the flatlands was tough, no ups to battle against, no downs to coast.
Best thing was, I got on the telly! How very shallow :whistle:

Top Bottom