Childrens bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
My daughter has outgrown her bike, and needs a new one (24") - are there any brands to look out for/avoid like the plague, or is everything much of a muchness at this level ?

Thanks
Andrew

(p.s. Does anyone do hub gearing rather than derailleur in a childrens bicycle range ?)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Much of a muchness.... Don't get full suspension, front suspension at most at these prices £100-£150. I recently got my son a Coyote Maniac 20" wheels for £90 from our local bike shop - 6061 alloy frame, alloy wheels - pretty good spec for the cash - he loves it.

Take her to try them out, but try and go to a bike shop (or bike warehouse) rather than Halfords - they will be more helpful/knowledgeable.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Isla bikes were on my list as well, but ended up finding a light bike with good components from my local LBS for my son.

You do need to look at them, and check you are getting some good parts/well built - don't get swayed by 'fancy' things like suspension...

If you want to stretch the budget a little then Isla bikes are the best to go for...

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Thanks for those considered replies. I must admit I had never heard of Islabikes, but they do seem very well thought out. My daughter had seen this in a bike shop
http://www.cyclexpress.co.uk/./Products/MTX_250_FS_Girls.aspx
and on the web, this
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/ltd-cruiser-girl-25267820/
but the Islabike is only £50 more, and if it encourages her to ride more, then it is money well spent.

I will continue to peruse the web, and visit a few more local shops.

Again, many thanks

Andrew

Dave5N

Über Member
Well now.

We had a broken part on an Islabike. Nothing that stopped it working, just annoying.

To punish us for complaining, they replaced (and fitted) the part free under warranty, checked the bike, refitted some other bits foc, all with warmth and charm; bigged up the young rider...

Dave5N

Über Member
Then again, Only Islabikes specifically produce decent well thought-out bikes for younger riders.

Get your kids a bike from elsewhere to help him or her stand out from the crowd. They won't win any races, but they'll be different...

Slower and less comfortable, but different...

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've never bought a Islabike - but whenever I look at the sizing - it usually makes me think I could almost go up a size in bikes for my children. For example I ended up buying my 10 year old a 24" bike last year, but according to their site a 24" is from 7+. My youngest who is waiting to grow into our (whispers very quietly) Halfords 20" (rubish) bike is 7 and still can't touch the ground on it, yet according to Islabikes a 7 y.o. could fit a 24". (Well he couldn't as his inside leg is only 54 cm - but probably about the same time as he could fit the Halfords 20"). Could anyone comment whether the bike sizing is different?

On my experience of bikes - (didn't know what I was doing when I bought our children their bikes), Halfords are heavy and badly designed. Stay well away from supermarket and Toyshop bikes. At least if you go to a bike shop to a known brand you are starting to go in the right direction - although they all seem to think we want suspension for our kids, and whilst I've never seen one I think an Islabike might be one of the best ones.

One of the kids in my sons class has a Belgium parent, and he just got a new bike last week - complete with rack and light - I haven't tried lifting it yet but it did look more like a bike and less like a toy than half the bikes in the bike racks at school.

OP
OP
cisamcgu

cisamcgu

Legendary Member
Thank you everyone for your replies. I have checked out Specialized, Treck and Giant as well as Decathalon and Islabikes. I am taken with Islabikes, they seem well thought out, and not too more expensive than similar offerings from the other manufacturers. The only downside is having to travel 100miles to be able to sit on one to test size, feel etc....

Anyway, I will continue to ponder...

Again, thanks to everyone

Andrew

Top Bottom