Christianias

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
danphoto

danphoto

Hmmm ... 23 views so far and no comment, so it's looking a lot like I'm in a minority of one ...

If I knew what one was I would comment, but I don't.

I assume from another of your threads that they may be cargo bikes. If so, no I haven't got one or anything similar.

Arch

Married to Night Train
If I knew what one was I would comment, but I don't.

I assume from another of your threads that they may be cargo bikes. If so, no I haven't got one or anything similar.

Google, man, google!

http://www.christianiabikes.com/

No, I haven't got one either. I have a colleague with a Nihola though, a similar layout trike.

http://nihola.info/en/nihola+bikes/cigar+family/

His newborn girl just sits in the front bucket, in a car seat. And apparently she's always either asleep, or looking astonished.

There's a chap in York runs a gardening business, I think it's a Christiania he has...

Beardie

Yes, I have one. Very clever design, they must have known to the millimetre how wide the door to my shed is, as it only just fits. I b ought it several years ago so I wouldn't have to get a car for visits to the garden centre, DIY store, etc. But now that's largely finished, it doesn't see much use. It has also seen service on Sustrans workdays.

OP
OP
danphoto

danphoto

Beardie, when you apply your front (box) brake, is there a tendency for the front end to oscillate?

Despite several tries, I've still not managed to get the front brakes adjusted such that the trike wants to stop in a straight line. At present I'm waiting for available time and suitable weather to coincide so that I can check properly if one of the discs is warped slightly, but after that I can't imgaine what the cause can be.

BTW, what do you reckon to the idea of a forum for Christiania owners? I've been thinking about starting one for ages but have held off so far because Andrea at Velorution reckons they're going to start one.

Not sure how much longer I give them for their chakras to align ... :rolleyes:

I've been to Christiania and there's a huge variety of weird and wonderful bikes to be seen... and a few other things too

Quite. The trikes are now made on an island in the Baltic, but how much of Christiania they took with them when they moved, I have no idea.

Beardie

The front brakes have never given any trouble. They appear to have been properly balanced when I bought it and I can't recall ever having had cause to touch the splitter. Mind you, I tend to use the back-pedal brake more, and never go fast to start with, as they are known to be unstable at speed.
This latter point makes Cush's idea of using one as a tourer somewhat dubious, as well as begging the question of why anyone needs such an amount of luggage space, even for camping.

DrMekon

Über Member
I have a trike too, but went for the Bakfiets.NL version instead, mainly because I am 6'3 and the rear end of the Christiania was too flexy for me with the post right up.

5441305247_b2de308405_z.jpg

I think there is a fix for the Christiania brake problem - If you read bakfiets-en-meer, it's discussed on their every now and then.

Top Bottom