Cigarette manufacturers.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

col

Legendary Member
Reading the thread about breast implants got me thinking. If its been proven that cigarettes kill, cause illness and allsorts of nasty side effects. Why are they allowed to be sold? Shouldnt they be made illegal, and the makers fined or closed down? It seems strange that the government would allow such a dangerous thing to be freely sold to the general public.
Also as a thought, shouldnt people who have illnesses caused by smoking be compensated by the manufacturers, and also be made to cover the bill for any treatment recieved? Just a thought?

Tony Elliott

hmm. Slippery slope. They make the product but tell you how it is bad for you and what it can cause. I am smoke-free now for the second attempt and three days in, but smoked for 15 years. If I get something wrong with me later it is because I ignored the warnings. Considering these warnings make up most of the packet, I would say their responsibility to me has been discharged.

I want people to make cool and slightly dangerous stuff (like bikes!) and not fear me sueing them.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
They ought to ban rock climbing equipment too? Absolutely no utility in that activity. They expect to be rescued when they get into trouble/killed, and they don't pay mountain tax either. Utter bastards.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Cigarettes are allowed to be sold because tobacco has been known of and widely used for hundreds of years. If it were discovered today or popularised today it there would be a sporting chance of it being banned. It's political momentum.

OP
OP
col

col

Legendary Member
When I started there were no warnings and adverts were even on the telly. We used to get given free packets at bike meets too. So becoming addicted pre warnings would have some sort of leverage maybe?
But the simple fact seems, that the government is endorsing unhealthy and dangerous habits? putting aside the fact they make a fortune off them.

Ashtrayhead

Über Member
There's loads of things that might kill you or make you ill but making them illegal won't force people to stop using them. Let adults make up their own minds about what they put in their bodies or about what activities they choose to enjoy.

Tony Elliott

They make a fortune - agreed. They make a fortune off petrol, high earners and so many things. I loved smoking and still would be doing it if I didn't have a new little man in my life to raise in the best way I can. One cig doesn't kill us. One pint of ale doesn't kill us...

Human excess is what kills. If a person is smoking 40 a day and ignoring their own coughing, wheezing and headaches, even if the packet had no warning, would the manufacturer still be to blame?

Some people do not become addicted at all. That tells me it is the person rather than the product.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
They ought to ban rock climbing equipment too? Absolutely no utility in that activity. They expect to be rescued when they get into trouble/killed, and they don't pay mountain tax either. Utter bastards.

True...

tyred

Legendary Member
Accidents in the UK home for 1996: 343 injured putting on their socks; 112 hurt reading a newspaper; 41 hospitalised by marbles; 34 hurt by cardboard; 12 hosipitalised by paperclips; 11 accidents involving bathroom scales; 6 hurt using talcom powder; 2 hurt by tea cosys.

I say ban socks, newspapers, bathroom scales and paper clips - much too dangerous to have these items used by the general public. :cursing:

MrB1obby

Cigarettes are allowed to be sold because tobacco has been known of and widely used for hundreds of years. If it were discovered today or popularised today it there would be a sporting chance of it being banned. It's political momentum.

Completely Agree^^

I hate the fact that we're in "America's" state of mind. Where everyone wants to sue anyone else for anything. It is your own full choice if you want to buy cigarettes, just because they are on sale does not mean you have to buy them. It's the same with anything that is threatening to our health or life. We do things by our decision and our decision only.

Top Bottom