Cinelli 1A stem/bar diameter

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie

Errrr.....
DAK what diameter handlebars the Cinelli 1A stem can accept? My understanding is the standard diameter for Cinelli bars is 26.4mm, but sizes of 26.0mm seem common. Can the stem accept a range of handlebar diameters, or does the stem need to be made for a precise diameter?

Cheers,
Archie

NickM

Veteran
26.4 Cinelli bars only, IME. Any other combination is only a source of grief, as are shims.

Old Cinelli stuff looks nice, but apart from that is not terribly well made. Bars often slipped unless threadlock was used on the bar/stem interface.

OP
OP
Archie

Archie

Errrr.....
Wow, first time I've seen Cinelli dissed on a forum, and I've checked out some discussions recently. Anyone corroborate Nick's opinion?

Thanks for the info BTW.

yenrod

NickM said:
26.4 Cinelli bars only, IME. Any other combination is only a source of grief, as are shims.

Old Cinelli stuff looks nice, but apart from that is not terribly well made. Bars often slipped unless threadlock was used on the bar/stem interface.

This often happened with me - the bars slipped and by god was it irritating !

Four-bolt pattern stems are way better !!!

fsa-175-4699-med.jpg

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Get an XA - My bikes have had Cinelli for a long time - XA stem is a pretty unit...with Cinelli bars. The XA works with most standard diameter bars...

Yenners - I hate modern stems - fugly......but I will say headset adjustment is a piece of cake, and changing stems doesn't involve stripping one side of the bars - tape, levers, etc....so they have a plus side....

Have a lookey - scroll down for the beauty of an XA Stem.......

http://www.bikepro.com/products/stems/cinelli-road.html

OP
OP
Archie

Archie

Errrr.....
Went for a Cinelli xe stem in the end. It seems you have to take pretty much what you can get with quill stems these days, and I was getting fed up with the rediculous prices some stuff was bid up to on ebay. :ohmy:
Evans was the easy option.

Just have to see how I go!

Proto

Legendary Member
Trouble with the Cinelli 1R stem was that if you overtightened it you ended up crushing the bar, and after that the bar could never really be secure.

Best looking by far is the 1A. A true classic. And I've never had problems with bars slipping on 1A or XA stems.

Top Bottom