Clarkson Let Us Down

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

girofan

The merits of TG or otherwise are not that which concern me at the moment. And what I am suggesting may not be of interest to the majority.

Clarkson is 6' 2" or thereabouts. He looks to be about 16 stone, but his weight is probably irrellevant.

Now, this is the point. Most tall people are self-effacing, quiet and on the whole nice enough people. Why is it then that Clarkson seems to go so much against type. He has a big mouth which when he utilises it, (and that is constantly) is a diatribe of bullying nastiness.

He bullies his audience, (although they deserve it for being there) with personal comments about their looks/appearance, his fellow presenters and anyone else he wishes to lay his vicious tongue on.:blush::sad:

IMO he lets all the rest of us lofties down. Would any other Forum users be able to explain his errant behaviour from what I consider to be the norm?

Aint Skeered

It's light entertainment, and should be veiwed and interprited as such.

Jaded

Aint Skeered said:
It's light entertainment, and should be veiwed and interprited as such.

If you can guarantee that every single viewer feels the same way, then I agree with you.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Girofan,

I think you're desperately doing your best to be offended by JC. You mention him "bullying" his audience. This used to known as no more than taking the piss. What's more his audience and the TV public know this, find it funny and understand that it is all meant harmlessly. JC is an entertainer and a very good one. I don't agree with much of what he says but I do know that it is not to be taken seriously.

BTW over- or misusing words like bullying just devalues them and renders them ineffective when you really need them.

This week he made three comments which suprised me:
One about the stig being mistaken for a Argentinian electrician , another about rather being inside a Lambo than Kiera Knightley and a third a reference to the ex Mrs Mcartney squealing like a pig(or similar).

He also poked a member of the audience in the eye.

He is a fairly unpleasant character like a a lot of tv icons / celebrities.

wafflycat

girofan said:
IMO he lets all the rest of us lofties down. Would any other Forum users be able to explain his errant behaviour from what I consider to be the norm?

You've already done it. The man is an arrogant, selfish, obnoxious bully. They come in all heights.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
If I was Clarkson's agent, I would be be worried. Although he's made loads of money and probably doesn't care about any future employment, he does come across as a one trick pony.

The other two I can see having far longer, and more diverse careers in TV. But once the public tire of Clarkson's arrogant 'the world according to me, me, me, me, me' approach to every issue, it will be very hard to reinvent himself as anything else.

Danny

Legendary Member
On top of his many other failings he looks like a prat in jeans, and gives us other middle-aged jean wearers a bad name.

if you don't like him, or what he says, don't watch the show. ffs. obvious, isn't it?

Aint Skeered

Have to agree with Trusty, never a week go's by without someone bleeting on about Top Gear.
Just turn it off, problem solved

papercorn2000

He has an enthusiasm for good engineering. When he makes programmes about engineers and the history of engineering, I think he can be rather good. I don't watch his other programmes.

papercorn2000 said:
He has an enthusiasm for good engineering. When he makes programmes about engineers and the history of engineering, I think he can be rather good. I don't watch his other programmes.

The one on Brunel was excellent, as was his one on VCs - particularly about Major Cain, with the brilliant end line, "I know him well because I married his daughter."

OP
OP
G

girofan

I think you're desperately doing your best to be offended by JC. You mention him "bullying" his audience. This used to known as no more than taking the piss.

If you accept that most people over six feet are generally inofensive, fairly nice type of people :sad:, I wish to know why Clarkson goes against type?
He doesn't bother me as you suggest and I'm not too bothered about TG one way or the other.
It's the fact he's tall and does these things that bother me :biggrin:. I genuinely have difficulty understanding why.:blush: He's no reason to be the way he is, HE'S TALL!! :tongue:

Top Bottom