W

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sharky

Guru
Not a fan of motor sports, but was treated to a driving experience at Brands, driving fast BMW's and a single seater. Hated it as the controls were so alien compared to a normal car. But in the waiting area, there was a time line showing the history of the track - and it started life as a cycle race track!

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Sure, long after Crude Oil is no longer extracted, im sure petrol will be available for small scale use on tracks and motorcycles through a synthetic means. That is fine by me. I love a good V8 rumble. I would always love to go to a track to hear that baby roar. But on the roads it just doesn't make sense as a mass transport method and as batteries technology improves as will all combustion engines make less and less sense...

Drago

Legendary Member
Fuel will still be available, arguably for centuries. It may well cost a pretty penny in future decades though, so I can foresee more and more of the less valuable classics being converted to electricity.

Indeed, taking the wider view we can pretty much guarantee that oil will be dug out the ground to make peteol or diesel. If every car in the UK - just the cars - were replaced one for one with an electric car then that alone would have consumed more than half the worlds supply of lithium. Clearly that doesnt leave enough for the rest of the world to all have electeic cars, so by default they'll all carry on driving ICE cars, thus perpetuating the demand for fossil fuels or their synthetic equivalent.

Electric cars solve nothing - in NET terms they're little better than ICE cars, they still cause congestion and danger, they still require an excessively large infrastructure. The only genuine solution is a lot less unnecessary private car use, and when it eventually becomes too difficult of expensive then race tracks may I deed become busier again as people go their to practice the historic art of car driving.

Last edited:
Top Bottom