Classic WVM

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Not much more to say about the incident, but it shook me up more than most. I didn't have the microphone connected, so you can't hear me scream and brake hard to avoid being clipped.

View: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=l6LQNbNodzA

The follow-up should be interesting. I got home in a strop and gave the courier company a ring. I spoke to one of the directors and he was excellent. He's going to call back after 'chatting' with the driver. He also suggested that he'd check the company phone logs to see if the guy was on the phone when this happened. If so, driver is in much poo.

(For some reason youtube has mangled the resolution of the vid - I might try to re-upload later)

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Naughty naughty van driver!! That's terribly lazy steering and a very very poor overtake. I don't doubt you were shaken up by that.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Yeah, I wondered that. I mean, in a strange area, you can get in the wrong lane and get confused, but it didn't look like that somehow. Seems he was just a complete numpty all round. Or, being deliberately malicious. Either way, he shouldn't be driving for a living.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Arch said:
Yeah, I wondered that. I mean, in a strange area, you can get in the wrong lane and get confused, but it didn't look like that somehow. Seems he was just a complete numpty all round. Or, being deliberately malicious. Either way, he shouldn't be driving for a living.

I wondered about the malicious bit as I gave him a shout as he started to go past - purely as warning and with no swear words - as I could see it ending in tears. That's when he seemed to cut back. But, I gave him the benefit of the doubt when I rang up and just accused him of numptidom.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Arch said:
... Either way, he shouldn't be driving for a living.
The MD of the company got back to me this evening:ohmy:. He'd looked at the footage, apologised for what had happened and said, rather darkly, that the driver was now the subject of disciplinary action.

He could just be making the right sounds to shut me up, but I think he was genuine as he'd made the effort to get back in touch. I suspect WVM either talked himself into trouble before he was aware that he'd been filmed or they'd nabbed him on the mobile.

As the MD gave a toss I've taken the footage down. He didn't ask, but I thought it was a fair thing to do.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Maybe you should have left it there so the MD can point his other drivers to it and say that us cyclists should be treated with respect... anything less being captured on film and they could face the sack.

OP
OP
Bollo

Bollo

Failed Tech Bro
Sh4rkyBloke said:
Maybe you should have left it there so the MD can point his other drivers to it and say that us cyclists should be treated with respect... anything less being captured on film and they could face the sack.
One bit of footage is unlikely to hurt the guy's business, but I wanted to show that I appreciated his attitude.

I think the clincher was WVM's trip up the kerb apres skimming me. The more I watch it the dodgier it looks - like someone steering one-handed ;). When I first spoke to the MD he was surprised when I told him the van's reg, so to go from "that's not like him" to "disciplinary" for one incident says to me that there's a bit more to it. I'm happy to draw a line though.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I didn't mean for it to hurt his business... more a resource for him to use with his other drivers to show he takes such bad driving very seriously, and that they should always take care.

Top Bottom