Cleaning Carbon Bikes? What to use? Safely!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Moss

Hi All.

No this wont be one of those stupid questions!! I've just bought a full carbon road bike; and it looks gorgeous! Now I know that washing the bike with warm (NOT HOT) water and a cloth, or car cleaning liquids and a hose pipe will do the job! But, sometimes you just need to wipe the paintwork over to remove a bit of dust or the odd spot of road debris. So, I was wondering if there was a 'safe to use' type of wipe that would be suitable for the intermitant quick clean?

Thanks

Any sensible replies, will be appreciated

M

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A damp rag.

Not harmed my carbon forks and seatstays in six years.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Water with dab of washing up liquid will do ya followed by a going over with Mr Sheen. For a quick wipe down, Baby Wipes.

zacklaws

Guru
Use car dash board panel wipe to polish your bike, its a far higher silicone content than most polishes. Unless its mud, mucky water etc just drops off and when you get home, a quick hose down with water is usually enough to clean it.

It was a tip from my LBS when I complained about always having to clean my bike, since then I have never looked back and on some mucky rides, other riders complain about how dirty there bikes are compared to mine.

gbs

Guru
Use car dash board panel wipe to polish your bike, its a far higher silicone content than most polishes.

Not being a petrolhead - I clean my car two or three times only each year - I had no idea that such a product exists. What brand names do you trust?

OP
OP
M

Moss

Water with dab of washing up liquid will do ya followed by a going over with Mr Sheen. For a quick wipe down, Baby Wipes.

I was told NOT to use washing up liquid, as it contains salt! Baby wipes Eh, sounds like the way to go! Thanks.

M

OP
OP
M

Moss

Use car dash board panel wipe to polish your bike, its a far higher silicone content than most polishes. Unless its mud, mucky water etc just drops off and when you get home, a quick hose down with water is usually enough to clean it.

It was a tip from my LBS when I complained about always having to clean my bike, since then I have never looked back and on some mucky rides, other riders complain about how dirty there bikes are compared to mine.

What make of Car Dash-Board Wipes do you Use (Recommend) ??? I remember using a silicone polish on an old Ford Cortina; and as you said the dirt just disappeared by hosing the car down; and it certainly kept a high shine on the paintwork. When it rained the water would run off the car body easily and glisten on the paintwork.

zacklaws

Guru
Not being a petrolhead - I clean my car two or three times only each year - I had no idea that such a product exists. What brand names do you trust?

I usually get it from Boyes or Wilkos if they have it and the one I normally get is the "Carplan Flashdash" brand, vanilla smells good as you ride.

http://www.carplan.co.uk/index.cfm?product=97

And besides, it too good to use on a car, and if you do, nothing stays on your dash for long as everything slides across it when you go round corners, melted chocolate, chewing gum and the remains of sticky sweets are best on dash boards, stops everything sliding about.

OP
OP
M

Moss

Thanks everyone for the replies! Looks like Baby Wipes win the day? cannot do any harm to the bike paintwork, especially as they take care of soft seats (Babies backsides) Might try the car dash-board silicone wipes though.

Regards

M

zacklaws

Guru
Might try the car dash-board silicone wipes though.M

Its a spray, and as a word of caution, if you clean your bike indoors like I do sometimes and if you have vinyl tiles etc, don't spray the polish as the over spray will give the tiles a good silicone coating and the next time you stand on them in just socks, you become the next Torvill and Dean, I know from experience.

OP
OP
M

Moss

Probably not to the carbon fibre but any plated parts may get caught. I used some diluted washing-up liquid to help remove some handlebar grips last weekend. I've since spotted the plating on the brake lever screws has suffered after being doused.

Thanks for posting that! I agree - if in doubt? don't use it.

2PedalsTez

Über Member
Washing up liquid has a de-greasing effect (some car detailers use it as a method to strip the wax off body work to prep for polish etc)

I use a quick spray with a car detailing spray and wipe off with micro-fibre. Cleans treat and (assuming the frame has a gloss finish) puts a bit of protection there too.
'course, don't get any on rims, brakes etc!

Top Bottom