Cleaning your bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tyred

Legendary Member
Soap and water or baby wipes and finish off with Mr Sheen (or some other sort of wax) to make it easier to keep it clean in future.

Never use a pressure washer on a bike. The bearings aren't very well sealed.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Soap and water or baby wipes and finish off with Mr Sheen (or some other sort of wax) to make it easier to keep it clean in future.

Never use a pressure washer on a bike. The bearings aren't very well sealed.

this..^^^ it's all that's needed.

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
I use washing up liquid as it is only a mild detergent but use a teflon based wax polish after the wash on the frame for a decent shine. I use brake/clutch spray for the cassette block and chainset which is a lot better than the de-grease products I have used in the past.

al-fresco

Growing older but not up...
I apply a twig to my Langster to stop the mud jamming my front wheel against the forks - I poke out the crud until the wheel is free to turn. Occasionally I use a pressure washer on it (but I avoid pointing it at bearings). My Surly is hibernating at the moment - when it's in use I use Sainsbury's baby wipes on it. The Langster would only laugh if I showed it a baby wipe. The Saracen never gets washed. Ever.

potsy

Rambler
If anybody wants to come round and practice their cleaning techniques on my bike tomorrow you would be most welcome, 3 days of commuting along a 6 mile wet muddy trailhave left it looking less than sparkling :ohmy:

:rofl: baby wipes HAHAHAHAHA :rofl: I like to see anyone try that on mine

I have terrible OCD, but I also enjoy cleaning my Road bike, which I commute on every day. So if its been a wet week. the weekend is
Wheels off, tyres off, inners out.
Tyres washed and scrubbed in washing up liquid, inspected for cuts and stuff in them and removed.
Cassette off and cleaned.
Wheels cleaned down with WD40.
QR Skewers cleaned and re greased, wheels and tyres re assembled and pumped back up.

Seat off and post out. Frame emptied of water.
Chain rings off and both cleaned.
Front and rear derrelleur off and cleaned.
Chain off and cleaned.
Front and rear brakes disassembled, cleaned, re greased and back on.
Frame washed down and polished.
All put back together.

Quick road test , ready for Monday.

On Friday I took the day off as it was very dirty, and the extra stuff was new chain fitted, brakes off and cables out and cleaned,
Head set apart and re greased bearings and then back together. Brake shoes apart and cleaned and re assembled.

I do like a clean bike.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have terrible OCD, but I also enjoy cleaning my Road bike, which I commute on every day. So if its been a wet week. the weekend is
Wheels off, tyres off, inners out.
Tyres washed and scrubbed in washing up liquid, inspected for cuts and stuff in them and removed.
Cassette off and cleaned.
Wheels cleaned down with WD40.
QR Skewers cleaned and re greased, wheels and tyres re assembled and pumped back up.

Seat off and post out. Frame emptied of water.
Chain rings off and both cleaned.
Front and rear derrelleur off and cleaned.
Chain off and cleaned.
Front and rear brakes disassembled, cleaned, re greased and back on.
Frame washed down and polished.
All put back together.

Quick road test , ready for Monday.

On Friday I took the day off as it was very dirty, and the extra stuff was new chain fitted, brakes off and cables out and cleaned,
Head set apart and re greased bearings and then back together. Brake shoes apart and cleaned and re assembled.

I do like a clean bike.

OOOhhhh a man after mine and Fossyant's heart... brings a tear to my eye it does.

Top Bottom