Cleat covers?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Punt1971

Regular
Hi, first post here!

Do you know if you can get cleat covers for SPD cleats? I use SH-51 cleats on my shoes.

The reason I ask is I'm doing the C2C (Whitehaven to Sunderland) in June and would obviously like to keep my gear weight down as much as possible. Pubs/restaurants for the two overnights would likely complain about me wearing cleats, chipping the floors or clicking the carpets. I thought cleat covers would be an obvious solution.

However, a quick google has proven uneventful. Plenty for SPD-SLs but no SPDs.

Anyone come across these?

Thanks!

TheSandwichMonster

Junior Senior
Do you mean SPD cleats as in for MTB/Dual-sided pedals?

I'm not aware of any covers for them, because on most/all (?) shoes that use them, the cleats are typically recessed and you'd have a job to scuff anything.

Hi Punt. I'm doing C2C in July but as yet haven't decided on accommodation. Would you mind letting me know where you stay and how you rate the place when you've done it. TBH it will probably be too close to me doing it by then but I'm just after as much information as possible. We'll be doing it over 2 days and probably staying over in Alston, Nentheads, Allenheads or maybe Rookhope.
Good luck
Jon :thumbsup:

PS: If you mean SPD-SL cleats I've never seen covers for them, if you do mean SPD then +1 for what TSM said. I use Speedplay on my C'dale and they have covers, but I use SPD-SL on my commuter and while I've never looked for covers I've never seen any either.

OP
OP
Punt1971

Punt1971

Regular
Hi Smokey

I'm stopping at the Beech House B&B in Greystoke on night 1, approx £40 B&B. 2nd night, Miner Arms in Nenthead, similar sort of price. Not the cheapest but for that weekend, there wasn't too much left.

Very much looking forward to it over the Jubilee Weekend, gives me the bank holiday monday and tuesday off work to recover! Being a big fella, I have no illusions it'll not be a challange :smile:

OP
OP
Punt1971

Punt1971

Regular
Thanks Zizou

They look ideal. Even if my cleats are recessed, this is mainly to stop any landlord etc complaining. I'd hate to have to go for dinner in socks only :smile:

I didn't know you got spd cleat covers, I've never had a problem with my cleats on walking into places and wearing them all day; there's no harm in being extra considerate IMO.
Btw Smokey,
Well you live and learn, and they do SPD-SL ones as well, http://exustar.com/product_detail.php?psn=137&level=2&t1s=31

Those are not SPD-SL cleat cover's, they are covers for Look Delta's and the other items on their site are covers for Look Keo's (or similar look cleats).

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
The E-CK2 covers are for SPDs, but I bet you can't find anywhere in the UK that you can get them!

Maddest I did was Newcastle to Hawes then back the following day.
I took my shower slippers and just took my roadie shoes off - got some funny looks tootling around during our stop in Richmond for lunch and in the pub at Hawes, but what the hell.
Well comfy and good to get out of the shoes for half an hour.

Tony

Those are not SPD-SL cleat cover's, they are covers for Look Delta's and the other items on their site are covers for Look Keo's (or similar look cleats).
Ah right. Still living, still learning :whistle: TBH I'd had a quick shuftie at them and they looked SPD-Rish, but it seems I jumped the gun. Thank you for enlightening me :thumbsup:
PS: good job I didn't decide to buy some. I don't really need any TBH, but if there was such a thing it might just appease Mrs S at times :whistle:

amaferanga

Veteran
I'd recommend taking some flip flops for off the bike. You'll appreciate allowing your feet to breath after a long day on the bike. I did an unsupported LEJOG on a road bike with just rack bag and still managed to fit in some flip flops (which were essential since I was cycling road shoes). If its cold you can always wear your cycling shoes.

Top Bottom