Cleats, pedals and shoes on their way... panicing a bit!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JamesK

Über Member
Hi folks,

I'm pretty new to cycling, did it as a kid but this is the first time I've really done it for about 10 years. Been reading this forum over the last few days and it's great! Loads of advice but I've managed to get myself a bit lost.

I have a hybrid bike for commuting to work but I can see myself getting the bug already and am looking to buy a road bike in the near future, depending on how it goes.

At the moment I've started off just buying some shoes, Shimano M075s and pedals, shimano M520s. I didn't want road shoes as I will be walking a little at each end to my garage and into the office and I am not trying to race anyone :smile:

I am getting quite concerned about how I am going to adjust/fit the cleats properly. I've read lots on here about them - eg, sit on a table and look at the angle of your legs/feet and keep maki n g lots of adjustments til you get them right, but now I've read so much I'm completely lost! As I sit on a table and look down, my legs seem pretty straight but my feet seem to point outwards a bit (toes pointing outwards compared to the heel). So... what does this mean?! Does it mean I need cleats with float? I've tried to find out exactly what float means but I can't really figure it out. Does it mean there's some sort of movement in the cleats as you cycle, or that they are just set at a slightly different angle...? Am I worrying about something that will be obvious when they arrive? Is it possible/likely that the cleats that come with the shoe will be inappropriate?

Also, given that I am now going to go clipless and am likely to have a clipless moment before long :sad: , should I buy some gloves?? Any recommendations?

Finally, I bought this stuff online, I'm now pretty sure I will go to my LBS from now on as you can actually get an expert to explain things to you!

Thanks, sorry for all the questions!

PS - hello dodgy:becool:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Blimey. Chill dood. Talk about over-complicating matters. Stick 'em on the shoes...straightish...and see how it goes. The only thing you really need to be concerned about is the clipping/unclipping tension setting on the pedals. Too tight and you'll have trouble clipping in/out; too loose and your foot will suddenly pop out - probably at the worst possible moment. Take an allen key with you for a ride, and adjust the screw from obviously-too-tight to obviously-too-loose and back and gradually zero in on 'just right'. Once you've found it, you're done. Oh, then practise clipping/unclipping for a few minutes while you're leaning up against a wall. *Then* you're done.

bonj2

just screw 'em on till they look right. And if they're a bit uncomfy, adjust them till they feel right. And "float" is pointless if you've got them adjusted correctly - you don't need it, it's a gimmick. I find it disconcerting.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I did as Bonj suggested. I also did the screws up hand tight so I could gently move the shoes with them clipped in.

You need to make sure the cleat is positioned under the ball of your foot. There will be a bit of tweaking to do as you get used to them, you should be settled on their position after only a couple of rides.

I went on the Thames path between the Linolium Dome and Greenwhich
today I had to clip in and out so many times my friend said it sounded like he was being followed by a typewriter!:sad:

Keith Oates

Janner
I would also suggest having at or near the lowest tension setting to start with and then tighten when and if you feel the need. BTW the gloves are a good option even without clipless pedals!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
The table dangling thing is quite simple: if your feet are pointing outwards compensate the cleats by turning them inwards so that they are in a line with your legs. Then adjust while in use as people say.

OP
OP
J

JamesK

Über Member
Thanks everyone for the advice... I can be a bit of a worrier!

Keith Oates - I will look to get some gloves then ;)
Andy in Sig - cheers - that does indeed make it sound very simple. Will give it a go and then I can see how it goes and readjust on the go as neccesary... I guess I'll post back when I actually recieve them!

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Hi JamesK - and welcome to the relaxing world of CycleChat ! :biggrin:
As I sit on a table and look down, my legs seem pretty straight but my feet seem to point outwards a bit (toes pointing outwards compared to the heel). So... what does this mean?!
How about "QUACK !" :biggrin::biggrin:

;)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Do a few test rides round the block as you adjust the cleats - the easy bit is making sure the cleat is directly under your ball of your foot - with feet in shoes, mark the side of the sole where your ball is. As for the angle, as you are slightly toe out, set the cleats like that first, go for a ride, see how they feel, then adjust if needed.

In my opinion the float is needed, having no float will screw up your knees. I've been using pedals with 'float' for 16 or so years, and I can now tell if a cleat is in nead of adjustment within a few pedal strokes - it just won't feel right.

Put a bit of time aside to set them up properly - i.e. do it when you have an hour or two. Don't rush it. Carry an alen key with you until you are happy with the set up so you can adjust on the road if you feel it's not right.

LLB

This is the setup I've got on my new bike.

Word of warning. Try the shoes for fit before putting the cleats on them. I bought my pedals on the net but went into my LBS to buy the shoes. I had to go up a size for the correct fit.

when you do fit the cleats, don't forget the sticky patch which goes over the back of the retaining plate which is supposed to stop the water coming through.

I just had my cleat slightly forward of centre, and screwed it down and it feels fine. There is a little bit of play in the pedal once you lock in on the standard settings, but not so bad it unclips, and it is very easy to step out of the pedal when you need to.

OP
OP
J

JamesK

Über Member
This is why I am a bit annoyed at having bought it all on the net. I have bought size 47 though, when I am a 10 to 11 normally, so should have the room I hope as a size 47 is 11.5 inches which is a UK size 12.

LLB

Shimano size about 1 down. I'm a 43 normally, but they were far too tight and a 44 is a snug fit.

jashburnham

Sounds like your feet are like mine in which case I'd suggest that float will be very important. I use speedplay zero pedals which give unrestricted float allowing my feet to find their own position on the pedals. I find them very comfy. Originally tried SPD-L's (yellow cleat) but they made my knees hurt. Personally I reckon the speedplay system is the best on the market, it just works so well!

Top Bottom