clicking sound when pedaling

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a dawes galaxy and when pedaling I have a clicking noise coming from the crank area no clicking when free wheeling. I have put the bike no the stand and pedald by hand
but no clicking. Seems only when I am driving the crank with my feet the extra pressure makes it happen. Any thoughts appreciated.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have a dawes galaxy and when pedaling I have a clicking noise coming from the crank area no clicking when free wheeling. I have put the bike no the stand and pedald by hand
but no clicking. Seems only when I am driving the crank with my feet the extra pressure makes it happen. Any thoughts appreciated.

Tighten your saddle bolt, I bet it's loose. Really.

martint235

Dog on a bike
There's so many things this could be:

1. The poster above isn't joking about your saddle. Take the seatpost out of the frame, put a tiny bit of grease on there well away from where the clamp sits but inside the tube. Tighten bolts holding the saddle to the seatpost too.
2. Check the crank bolts if you have them. I always thought it was a one piece unit and ignored someone telling me this. Then I finally tightened them and the clicking went.
3. Check the BB, may just need grit cleaning off it.

I'm sure other people who know way more of these things than me will be along to help in a while too.

buggi

Bird Saviour
yes, could be dirt in the saddle post, that happened to me and i swore the click/crack sound came from the front forks.

i've also had clicking when pedalling which turned out to be the cleat clicking in the pedal (SPDs) as it went round. good clean and a bit of lube on the pedal worked well (a workmate worked out what it was AFTER i had had it all stripped down at the shop, cleaned, lubed and put back together LOL).

e-rider

crappy member
pedal bearings

huttster

Found mine today,same thing clicking on pedal revolution only under extra pressure,tried cleaning and regreasing bottom bracket,dismantled chainring,greased bolts and retightened,tried without shoes on,changed pedals,tightened rear cassette,seat clamp bolt and saddle bolts,water bottle bolts,then thought i would try front derailleur clamp bolt,as soon as i loosened it,CLICK!same clicking noise,took clamp off and cleaned underneath and greased bolt and all i can hear now is my heavy breathing! :wahhey:

Andrew_P

In between here and there
Help!! I was about to post a "clicking thread" 600 mile bike, so barely broken in. I have a click coming from the rear, the best explaination is that it clicks once per rotation, freewheeling or pedaling. BUT heres the problem it only does it when I am on it?

105 Gears Shimano 105, 10-speed, 12-27t
Rims

Mavic Aksium

Tyres

Specialized Roubaix Pro II, 700x23c, Kevlar bead, 120TPI, w/ Flak Jacket protection

Mavic Aksium Wheels

105 Brakes

I have a feeling that it is the wheel as it only happens when I am on the bike.

Also I can move the wheel left to right, returns to centre is that okay?

Top Bottom