Clip on mudguards are they any good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DJ

Formerly known as djtheglove
I presume they do what they say on the tin? Just thought I would ask your advise before I go out and buy some. Has any one got any or use them?

Most importantly can they be fitted on my Dawes Giro 200 road bike (which I now love by the way) See earlier posts!

The bike does'nt have room under the brakes for ordinary mudguards, so I am hoping I can fit these to get me through the winter commutes.

Thanks for any help offered.:biggrin:

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
They do work, after a fashion. They aren't as good as full guards and, where possible, I'd go with full guards for winter commuting. They do stop a lot of the spray reaching your upper body but they don't keep as much off the bike or off of your feet as full guards.

They can be fitted to most bikes, yours should not be a problem. I've fitted raceblades to my TT bike and to an Airnimal folder (with a bit of bending).

robgul

Legendary Member
I have SKS Raceblades on one of my bikes - they are adequate, but not as effective as the complete guards.

One tip : do not be tempted by the "own brand" imitations sold by Halfrods and St John St .... they are nowhere near as good as the genuine SKS ones IMHO. Poor fittings and quality.

Rob

upandover

Guru
I have them a like them. They aren't as good as full ones, bit with the addition of a crudcatcher on the downtube, to keep my feet dry, they work very well.

Cycling on a very wet road in the dry (meaning any wet could only come from the floor) the only problem I had was a small amount of blowback frm water coming diagonally forward and up front from the front wheel, which I ran into over around 25mph.

I have the guards butted right up against my brakes (with rubber tape to stop scratching), and the (half of a) crudcatcher, mounted on the back of the top tube, right up against the back forks (lacking a name here), extending down as far as it will fit.

Does the job well - no wet feet yet. I did get the large ones for my 25 tyres, which give a wide coverage. They also look so much better than full mudguards, and on my silver bike, blend right in.

Steve

OP
OP
D

DJ

Thanks for the quick responses and to Jimboalee, So I should only get the proper sks race blades is that right and if I'm still getting wet then I could try adding crud catchers. Not sure I will do that cos we don't get loads of rain in London.

I don't seem to see anything in 700x 26c, only in 18/23 but they wont fit right?

does any one know where I can get the size I want? Am I looking for up to £40 in price range:becool:!

cheers.

RedBike

I would of thought that with 23mm tyres you could get a set of full length guards under your brakes. The problem point is probably between the rear wheel and the seat-post.

I have some SKS race baldes on my perthus pro, they work fine after i had to fiddle with them to get them fitting right. Did split the rubbers on the mounting mechanism after a few changes, cheap to fix and apart from that fully satisfied.

upandover

Guru
djtheglove said:
I don't seem to see anything in 700x 26c, only in 18/23 but they wont fit right?

cheers.

If I'm reading you right, and you have 700x26 tyres?

http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=729

When I bought them they were the cheapest at £27 with free postage. - £30 now so best to check.

Steve

bonj2

djtheglove said:
Thanks for the quick responses and to Jimboalee, So I should only get the proper sks race blades is that right and if I'm still getting wet then I could try adding crud catchers. Not sure I will do that cos we don't get loads of rain in London.

does any one know where I can get the size I want? Am I looking for up to £40 in price range:becool:!

cheers.

no if you're still getting wet you should just cycle faster. IN fact you should probablyjust cycle faster anyway.

OP
OP
D

DJ

upandover said:
If I'm reading you right, and you have 700x26 tyres?

http://www.cyclesportsuk.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=729

When I bought them they were the cheapest at £27 with free postage. - £30 now so best to check.

Steve

Thanks very much for that Link upandover, thats exactly what I am looking for I will order them in silver, to match my bike, I wont have to dodge quite so many puddles now.:laugh:;):biggrin:

OP
OP
D

DJ

bonj said:
no if you're still getting wet you should just cycle faster. IN fact you should probablyjust cycle faster anyway.

Your not that flat bar road bike commuter I was trying to keep up with the other day are you? Iwas a few pounds lighter after that!;)

Mortiroloboy

I had some fitting issues with the SKS blades when I put my 25c Spesh Aramadillo's on and had to take my full Tor-tec guards off, as my frame geometry is tight at the front the SKS blades didn't fit between the back of the wheel and the downtube, it was the rubber mounting part that holds the stays to the guards.

I had to change to Tor-tec razors, which fit nicely, and have plenty of adjustment.

Tor-tec blades £24.99 from most good LBS's.

bonj2

djtheglove said:
Your not that flat bar road bike commuter I was trying to keep up with the other day are you? Iwas a few pounds lighter after that!:ohmy:

probably not unless it was almost a year ago - been on drops since early this year

Top Bottom