Clipless on fixed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

colinr

How is clipless on fixed? I currently ride with straps and I gather going clipless starts waking up the calf muscles a bit. Combined with the can't-stop-pedalling would this be a decision that slays my legs for weeks/months, or will it be a life-changing improvement?

MajorMantra

colinr said:
How is clipless on fixed? I currently ride with straps and I gather going clipless starts waking up the calf muscles a bit. Combined with the can't-stop-pedalling would this be a decision that slays my legs for weeks/months, or will it be< a life-changing improvement?

This.

Matthew

Will1985

Über Member
Can't imagine riding fixed without clipless, especially uphill. Come to think of it, I don't like riding anything without clipless now!

It's a lot of fun trying to clip in on the move too, especially at the velodrome where they don't like the practise.

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

Sold! Now just have to wait til payday.
Any recommendations on pedals/shoes to save me a whole load of reading? Road bike if it makes a difference, walking any distance in the shoes is not required.

Bokonon

Über Member
I have only ever ridden clipless on fixed. It is very easy with double sided SPD where it is a case of just stick your foot on the pedal and you clip in. You'll soon learn to unclip at the last moment as part of a break with one foot and unclip the other motion. I now find it more difficult to stop on a freewheeled bike than on fixed. Do make sure you are actually clipped in before putting on the power when pulling away...

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

Do make sure you are actually clipped in before putting on the power when pulling away...

A new learning curve, that's what I'm talking about! Toe clips are too easy now :blush:

MajorMantra

colinr said:
Sold! Now just have to wait til payday.
Any recommendations on pedals/shoes to save me a whole load of reading? Road bike if it makes a difference, walking any distance in the shoes is not required.

For ease of entry, cheap SPDs. For maximum efficiency, proper road pedals like SPD-SLs, Looks, Times, Speedplays etc. All have their fans and it's not really possible to say that any particular one is best, although Speedplays are the only double sided road pedal if that matters to you.

Matthew

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

Ease of entry is priority, M520s seem popular on here so could well be the winner. I like the Shimano MP66 Shoes but they'll look daft with lycra. I'll go and talk about shoes in a more relevant thread now.

yorkshiregoth

Master of all he surveys
I use shimano 520's on my fixie. Couldn't picture myself using regular flat pedals.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
SPD-SL's with nice road shoes.
I have 105 SPD SL on my good fixed and they are very good, alot better then flats and straps because you can pull on them more.
I did have SPD on my older fixed over the winter, but im not as much of a fan on SPD as i am SPD-SL.
I also dont think that SPD is easier to clip into then SPD-SL.
Just my opinion though.

OP
OP
colinr

colinr

Unanimous verdict then. clipless is the new black. I'm thinking Shimano M520s with DHB M1s. Anything wrong with that combo before I order?

Radius

SHREDDER
Best choice I ever made was putting the SPDs on the fixed after riding for a bit with clips n straps. Looks like you've got a good starting setup as well, I know plenty of experienced riders who still use M520s because they're cheap and rugged, yet still perfectly fine in terms of performance. Couldn't imagine using road pedals though...

Top Bottom