Clipless pedals...How many falls?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

del

Today I did my first SPD clipless pedal/shoe cycle... Only fell off once! :biggrin:
Not too bad, I was expecting to fall over a few more times and for it to hurt more.

It was at trafic lights however, the fall wasnt to embarressing, it was the laying on the floor with the bike between my legs, and feet still clipped in, while i manically shook my legs around to break free of the clips, which probably made it look like I was having a fit that felt a bit more embaressing.

But it was a good lesson, next time I will anticipate my stops and unclip one shoe anyway when coming up to potential stops.

Clipping the SPD's back in is bit of a hassle too, that nearly made me fall a few times as my foot slipped.

Really need to play with the angle of them as currently my foot points inward, feels awkard. And feel like I should raise my seat a little also when using the SPD's

I dont know about you guys, but overall I do like them :smile:

Two due to my cycling ability.

1/
Got right hooked by a car at the bottom of a hill. I managed to stop but fell over when stationery.

2/
Immediately after 1 I rode up the other side of the hill, stopped to have a moan about the incident to my friend and fell and rolled part way back down the hill.

3/
This only counts if getting hit and knocked off by a car counts as a clipless moment. Police didn't give a sh!* and someone stopped to call me gay.

Once on my flat bar road bike with spd's but three times on my Bianchi with spd-sl :blush:

I like to cycle with a pedal that had a bit of a cage so when you do miss you can pedal away from the junction and clip in when its safe to do so.

As with the angle what does your foot do naturally (mine point outwards) position your cleats so your foot is natural. Park and BR do some quite good guides on cleat set up.

Friz

The more you ride, the less your ass will hurt.
I had two. Once was when I stopped to give out to a dog that was yapping at me. Stopped, began giving out, then toppled over. The dog looked startled and wandered off, shaking his head in dismay.

The second was due to too much Guinness.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Zero but I am probably just lucky :smile:
whistling.gif

*touches wood*

mattobrien

Guru
So far none, but I have only had three rides with my clipless pedals.

Each time I have nearly stacked it, i have managed to remember to twist my foot out at just the right time.

Obviously this means I will fall over on my next ride now :-)

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Once, on my first ride whilst slowing down so I could adjust the cleat position doh

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Once, after one of the screws fell out that was holding the clip onto the bottom of the shoe.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Fitted them, got on the bike and fell over straight away I was still in front of my garage
grin.gif

Fell off in a very steep hill, I couldn't unclipped in time
On a country lane I stopped to let a car through unclipped my right leg and fell to the left and landed on a patch of nettles
cry.gif

Camgreen

Had the SPD's on a couple of weeks and did first long ride on Sunday - Manchester 100 (k). Almost came a cropper at the road works by the Star pub just through Winsford and then (ridiculously) toppled over at the Tesco Express stop in Middlewich; ridiculous because I'd free'd up my right foot and then inexplicably leant the other way!
rolleyes.gif

twozeronine

I've only ever actually fallen over once, but had some close calls.

1. First one was when I stopped at a junction and forgot to unclip, but just about managed it in time and stayed upright.

2. Stopped in some traffic and started to fall over, but there was a car next to me, so I just propped myself up on it.

3. Slowly filtering up the inside of traffic and a car in front stopped abruptly, forcing me into the curb, and I didn't have enough momentum to get onto the pavement, so over I went. I'm sure the cabby behind me enjoyed that.
tongue.gif

That's all in over 10 years of cycling.

Friz

The more you ride, the less your ass will hurt.
(google Pavlov)

Excellent! First genuine laugh of the day...

"Note that when the test subject twists his or her foot properly, they are rewarded with a feeling of accomplishment that makes them smile and feel good. Alternatively, when the subject fails in their practiced movement, they are punished with extreme pain and humiliation. It must be said that some subject learn quicker than others."

Top Bottom