Close pass ad on Bike Channel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DRM

Guru
Just seen an advert for a cycle insurance company that gets the point across regarding close passes, A bloke is stood at the urinals doing his business when another walks in & stands shoulder to shoulder with the first bloke in order to spend a penny too, the caption is "Too close for comfort?" then cuts to a cyclist being overtaken & given a nice wide berth, I can't help thinking it should be on ITV for the masses though, as showing it on the bike channel is really preaching to the converted, still it's a start I suppose.

Are the "masses" on ITV?

And would anyone give a toss?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Time for some new Public Information Films, who do we lobby ?
That is a very good question. You dont seem to see them anymore. I can still remember lots of them from my childhood and so they must have an effect. Bringing them back, especially in cartoon form, would be useful.

Drago

Legendary Member

raw-1398419309.jpg

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They're still making them, branded as THINK! but only motoring ones get TV airtime bought nationally. Anything to reduce cyclist casualties is left to highway authorities (generally county councils) and LEPs (generally old businessmen in limos) so doesn't get much funding compared to motoring.

mjr

I think this was the last shoot ad they made. Actually, it's probably good that no one bought it TV time AFAIK.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m7lBvN80JaQ

mjr

What's really fecking annoying about that ad is that the lorry appears to be overtaking and then turning across the cyclist.

It should be the lorry drivers being told to 'hang back'...
That's only part of it. I suspect we dissected its many many many faults nearer when it was released.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
[QUOTE 4910256, member: 259"]Those ads were terrifying, but not in the way they were intended to be. That awful cat was a million times worse than any dalek.[/QUOTE]

Even as a child - the one where Mommy was "talking" to the Milkman made me suspicious.

Perhaps I watched too much Benny Hill

Last edited:
Top Bottom