Close pass variants

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alp1950

Some of the commoner types of close pass:

The Eejit in a hurry: driver who calculates he can just squeeze past in face of vehicle coming in the opposite direction (behaviour often manifest by succeeding vehicles when several cars pass a cyclist in close succession).

The Dyspraxic: driver with spatial awareness problems resulting in inability to judge the width and/or length of their vehicle. This often results in the classic close pass. Various harmless and sometimes amusing variants may be observed including the driver who leaves so much space when passing that pedestrians on the opposite side of the road dive for cover, and the driver who starts to pull out only after well passed the cyclist.

The Psychopath: punishment pass executed at speed often greatly in excess of speed limit with aim of asserting dominance over inferior road user. Typically followed by sudden braking to avoid hitting rear end of car in front.

Came across an interesting new variant today. Possibly a variant of the dyspraxic, but sufficiently bizarre to warrant inclusion as a separate category:

The Well-intentioned but misguided: driver who makes no attempt to pass despite ample opportunity and sits on cyclist's tail for several minutes. When road in front is clear for several miles & is wide enough to land a 747 drives past at a speed no more than 5mph greater than cyclist but leaving a gap of no more than 10cm. I would hypothesise that the likelihood of this type of pass is linearly related to the driver's age.

Xiorell

Über Member
The Well-intentioned but misguided: driver who makes no attempt to pass despite ample opportunity and sits on cyclist's tail for several minutes. When road in front is clear for several miles & is wide enough to land a 747 drives past at a speed no more than 5mph greater than cyclist but leaving a gap of no more than 10cm. I would hypothesise that the likelihood of this type of pass is linearly related to the driver's age.

I've had this one several times!

Matthames

Über Member
I have had the "Well intentioned, but misguided" close pass a few times. Although I do live and also work in two towns that are both well known for having a large population over a certain age. :whistle:

RRCC

Guru
You forgot the most common:-
The Trailer- The driver who is so close to the car in front that they can't see to make their own decesions and blindly follow it regardless. The first car has enough time and space to pass safely, but not the second (or third) so they cut in on you.

Hip Priest

Veteran
The Swift Surprise - Car appears to give you a reasonable amount of space, only to cut in to soon and nearly have you off with his caravan.

NormanD

Lunatic Asylum Escapee
The Corner Cutter - Often found at any time, who proceed to cut the corner at speed on the wrong side of the road/ corner, thus forcing in the inevitable hard braking from the person approaching the said corner on the correct side of the road.

calibanzwei

Also known as a 'Creeper'
biggrin.gif

What about the half decent passers - the ones who give plenty of space until they, ie the driver, are passed and then pull back in quickly so you can get a really close look at the rear seats

sabian92

Über Member
Some of the commoner types of close pass:
The Dyspraxic: driver with spatial awareness problems resulting in inability to judge the width and/or length of their vehicle. This often results in the classic close pass. Various harmless and sometimes amusing variants may be observed including the driver who leaves so much space when passing that pedestrians on the opposite side of the road dive for cover, and the driver who starts to pull out only after well passed the cyclist.

As much as I agree with the rest of them, this one is quite rude. I'm dyspraxic and I found this quite offensive.

And yes, I can drive a car. I know the width of my car. Being dyspraxic doesn't mean i'm a total retard.

beastie

Guru
As much as I agree with the rest of them, this one is quite rude. I'm dyspraxic and I found this quite offensive.

And yes, I can drive a car. I know the width of my car. Being dyspraxic doesn't mean i'm a total retard.
You have a t shirt with bus self-gratification artist printed on it, yet you are offended by a light hearted post. Double standards.

sabian92

Über Member
You have a t shirt with bus self-gratification artist printed on it, yet you are offended by a light hearted post. Double standards.

This is totally different. That's a t-shirt with a daft quote from a TV show, dyspraxia is a mental condition that affects many people and causes them a lot of problems. The DVLA let me drive, I didn't take that long to learn to drive and passed first time, so I can't be that bloody bad of a driver. If I was surely I wouldn't be able to drive?

sabian92

Über Member
I didn't write a post about a certain pass being called "The Retard" though. I used it to demonstrate I'm not an idiot (which, by the way, used to be the word for mentally retarded people as well.).

Top Bottom