Close Shave

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Armegatron

Just went for a short ride after work that turned into a longer one - but had a very bad incident that really shook me up.

Video link:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck9Be6Tcvt8

Heres what happened:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&s...559836,-1.223165&spn=0.00093,0.00284&t=h&z=19

On the A172 (Marton Road) heading south. I take the left lane so traffic can still overtake and make progress. Learner in lane 2 and a van behind him, and Mr Aggression behind the van. Me and Mr A are along side each other minding our own business and the traffic lights turn red. Everything is still ok. Lights go green and I proceed to the roundabout still in left lane. Im going straight (left lane = L and Straight, right lane = straight and R). Next thing I know I hear a revving behind me so I turn round and shout "oi". Then the driver forces his way next to me with about less than 1/2 a foot clearance, I shout "oi" again but he continues to push through. I lost my balance with turning over right shoulder (SPD's and I always keep right foot clipped in, left foot on floor) and thud my hand down onto his bonnet. Right foot unclipped and on floor and he then pushes further forward and by this point its clear just how close he is on the footage. He uses the classic "your in the middle of the road" line and just as I start to justify my actions he comes out with the other favourite "keep to the left". My response then is not for public viewing :wacko: and he offers to pull over to "chat" about it. Feeling threatened I say, yup go on then, with the intention of blasting past him once he has parked up.

Im very shook up by this and phoned the mrs to let her know I was on my way. I started to doubt if its worth cycling but have since come to my senses that in over 1000+ miles and 100+ hours of my cycling life I have only ever come across an idiot like this once. Hopefully I wont again but Im now scared to ride during rush hour :thumbsup:.

Please, once the video has uploaded comment and analyse it because if there was anything that I could perhaps change to stop something like this happening then I will take it on board.

Thanks,
Mike

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I take it the 'Mr A' didn't want to get caught behind a cyclist and a learner, so forced his way through?

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
What a knob, i would have stopped and had a chat, not told him about the camera and then reported him to the police, his company etc.. (easier said that done when not being there)
This tosser clearly needs to learn how to behave around other road users

Given his terrible/ reckless standard of driving I was quite surprised by his response, although wrong his voice seemed calm enough.

OP
OP
Armegatron

Armegatron

MadoneRider1991 said:
yh he still thort he was right
Part of the reason I didnt explain why I was taking the lane. Additionally its not worth a black eye (me or him).

If he wasnt so adament he was right I would have kindly explained to him that as my speed was 20+mph approaching the roundabout, and there was a 2nd lane for traffic to overtake then I was entitled to take the lane for safety. Also I took the lane at the roundabout to prevent a maneuver like his from putting my safety at risk.

I will try to draft up an email today to the company director (thanks mr_cellophane :smile:) but Im unsure whether to report it to the police as my hand hitting his van could possibly be perceived as criminal damage and I have strong associations with a local police force which I dont want to jeopardize.

Thanks for the comments everyone. Its nice to know that my riding didnt create a situation or make it worse. At first I was worried that I didnt take the lane enough on the roundabout but watching it back he had the other lane available to him which he could have barged into in front of the learner.

Going to show it to some non cyclist colleagues and see what their opinion is. :tongue:

wafflycat

1. You did absolutely the right thing by NOT stopping to have a chat, as that could have gone horribly wrong no matter how calm you are.

2. The driver was utterly and completely in the wrong. He is this: a tit.

3. Make sure his employer knows. Try to keep it calm and *factual* - difficult but worth it.

4. Worth a notification to plod too. That driver was using his vehicle as a weapon. Such drivers should not be allowed in charge of a motor.

5. Glad you are ok.

6. Your hand on vehicle - a way of letting him know you were there - not to cause damage. the only 'mitigating' circumstance would be that he didn't see you and you had to let him know you were there. Otherwise he really was using his car as a weapon and you were taking entirely reasonable steps to defend yourself.

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
People like that pi$$ me right off. Why the hell is he so damn special?

The crying shame is that while 99% of people are actually perfectly nice, agreeable drivers, we have to share the road with the 1% that want to spoil it for everyone.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Are things getting worse? Seriously that *rick needs taking of the road permanently, I am glad you are okay though and report is all the way, good luck.

I stopped for a "chat" little while ago after a verbal altercation with a numpty, things calmed down once I took the helmet and cycling glasses off and he realised I looked like a Chelsea Head Hunter! lol! Glad you carried on however as it can go oh so wrong.

Top Bottom