Close shave

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

leemo

Commuter
Nearest miss so far in three years of cycle commuting; happened this morning.

Was going along main road about 20mph. Vehicle pulled out of a side road on right to cross over the main road and enter a side road on the left. He hadn't seen me but I had seen him. Braked and swerved to the left managing to go infront of him by about 1ft. All over in <1 second.

I stopped and turned back to look at the driver. He sort of waved in a SMIDSY kinda way and I shouted: not good enough.

Not sure there was much more I could have done -- I think shouting when I saw him start to pull out might have been a good idea but I didnt have time to think, it was all instinctive. Any other advices?

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Sounds like you had it covered; he acknowledge the mistake and you're still walking. Not much more you can ask for I guess.

Canrider

Guru
Doesn't sound like there was much more to do. Maybe try and go behind rather than in front, but that'll depend on where across the road he is and how much time you have to react.

I had a guy on a bike do that to me yesterday. All I could think to yell was 'Jesus!' over my shoulder at him after I'd dodged him. He probably still doesn't know why I was shouting at him..

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
Doesn't sound like there was much more to do. Maybe try and go behind rather than in front, but that'll depend on where across the road he is and how much time you have to react.

I had a guy on a bike do that to me yesterday. All I could think to yell was 'Jesus!' over my shoulder at him after I'd dodged him. He probably still doesn't know why I was shouting at him..

Or wondered why you though he was Jesus :biggrin:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
+1

Take a bow AFS!!

:biggrin:

Cubist

Still wavin'
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Attachments

• biggrin.gif